Palliative Care Nurse/Clinical Officer
Jobs at:Rays of Hope Hospice Jinja
Deadline of this Job:
09 June 2021
Within Uganda , Jinja , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position: Palliative Care Nurse/Clinical Officer
Reports to: Clinical Coordinator
Duty station: Jinja
Type of appointment: One year Contract (Renewable upon performance)
Rays of Hope Hospice Jinja (RHHJ) is a non profit, interfaith organisation. Since 2007 RHHJ has provided palliative care to patients with life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses in the Busoga Region and Buikwe District.
Mission: To provide palliative care and improve the quality of life for patients with life-threatening/life-limiting illnesses in Busoga region and beyond
Palliative Care Nurse/Clinical Officer is responsible for providing comprehensive holistic care for Cancer and severe AIDS patients and their families at their homes, at Outreach centers or at the Rays of Hope Hospice Jinja Clinic.
The Palliative Care Nurse/Clinical Officer is responsible for planning, coordination and delivering professional care to all patients with life-limiting illnesses on the Rays of Hope Hospice Jinja care program
Professional qualification: Registered Nurse/Clinical Officer with experience in palliative care services provision. Diploma specialized training in palliative care will be of added advantage.
Palliative care working experience: Not less than 2 years working with HIV/AIDS, cancer and chronic patients in hospitals and community.
Computer skills: Word processing, Excel and Power Point are essential.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Regularly plan, coordinate, organize, implement and evaluate comprehensive care for the terminally ill cancer or/ AIDS patients and their families.
• Provide support to patients, their families and carers.
• Provide information to patients and families concerning illness and treatment
• Train main carers on how to care for the patient through the illness and how to administer drugs.
• Regularly evaluate the care offered and make necessary adjustments/changes
• Write accurate and readable notes in patient’s case notes and maintain the notes in files accessible to the team while maintaining confidentiality
• Regularly update the patient’s records to reflect any changes in age, location and any other information relevant to the Program
• Ensure security of drugs and proper handling according to the legal requirements.
• Regularly prepare and present essential statistical returns on patient’s drugs to the Program Coordinator for reports.
• Report any drug needs as may arise
• Maintain inventory of equipment and ensure that they are all in working order
• Maintain the drugs, files and clinic in order
• Participate in planning, coordinating and evaluating palliative care training courses for Health and non-Health Professionals
• Regularly disseminate knowledge regarding appropriate care of terminally ill patients to stakeholders including other professionals, families and community volunteers.
• Teach patients and families on how to care for themselves/patients
• Compile resources and resource persons for palliative care training
• Build networks, collaborations and alliances with health workers, community volunteers and relevant stakeholders regarding holistic, quality and appropriate terminally ill patient’s care.
• Conduct any other assignment as may be required from time to time
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
THIS JOB MAY REQUIRE FREQUENT TRAVEL FOR FIELD WORK AND SO APPLICANTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO COPE WITH REGULAR FIELD MOVEMENTS.
All interested candidates are requested to send the application to the Human Resource Officer, Rays of Hope Hospice Jinja Plot 18B Kiira Road, P.O.Box 380 Jinja – Uganda by 9th June 2021