Job Title: – Oxfam Uganda Jobs 2022 Public Health Promotion Assistant
Duty Station: Kyangwali Refugee Settlement
Reports to : Public Health Promotion Officer
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
To provide support to South West Refugee Response programme in relation to ensuring that public Health promotion activities rolled out in line with Oxfam approaches and principles.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide inputs and participate in the collection, compilation of weekly, monthly and project end reports where necessary, relating to progress made on WASH, with focus on objectives, obstacles and possible solutions, together with future plans and recommendations where necessary.
- Take part in distribution activities, including identification of goods and materials, registration of beneficiaries and distribution of items to the target communities and ensure timely accountability
- Take part in training at community level including women and youth groups, VHTs in Child to Child activities, CLTS, CHAST, sanitation marketing etc.
- Carry out water quality analysis, treatment and report accordingly.
- Collaborate with other WASH team members, and MEAL colleagues to support the development of creative and holistic approaches to WASH programming.
- Support WASH team to ensure adherence to minimum standards of technical quality in all WASH related activities and interventions.
- In case of emergency response, undertake additional responsibilities related to respective functions
- Working as part of a team, facilitate community participation in Oxfam’s WASH programmes.
- Coordinate planned implementation of community mobilization and awareness raising initiatives, hygiene campaigns & NFI distributions, and ensure regular monitoring of communal WASH facilities and services
- Work closely with VHTs/volunteers, building their capacity and helping them to plan and monitor their work.
- Ensure community complaints / concerns are verified, documented and forwarded to the PHPO for appropriate feedback to the communities
- Act and ensure that work is executed with sensitivity to refugee and host community needs and other important cross-cutting concerns ie gender, protection and ensure that hygiene promotion activities are in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct and humanitarian principles.
- Promote the full and equal participation of women, other age/sex groups and PSNs in all aspect of the work ensuring that Oxfam’s programme is an opportunity for community cohesion and harmony rather than impediment.
- Work with the community and local administration, to ensure that the health promotion needs of the population are met delivering Infection Prevention and Control, IPC of COVID-19 risk communication messages and SOPs.
- Implement and supervise Public Health Promotion activities in the project area in an interactive and participatory manner.
- Under the guidance of the PHE & PHP officers and WASH technical team leader, take part in water, sanitation and hygiene needs assessments, implementation of agreed WASH strategies including CBI and sanitation marketing and support supervision of minor construction works like construction of temporary communal bathing shelters and latrines
- Manage mobilization of the refugee and host communities to promote hygiene practices, public sanitation, with more emphasis on monitoring latrine use, water collection/storage, environmental sanitation and hand washing practices.
Minimum Qualifications for Oxfam Uganda Jobs 2022:
- Relevant qualification such as Degree/ Diploma in public health / environment from a recognized academic institution.
- Previous experience of working directly with communities, preferably in an emergency context, with a minimum of 2 years exposure to environmental health and hygiene issues for IDPs/refugees in camps, urban or rural situation.
- Experience and understanding of community mobilisation in relation to water and sanitation activities with strong skills in training and facilitation
- Have the ability to supervise minor construction works like construction of emergency latrines and bathing shelters
- Understands different approaches to community mobilisation and Information, Education and Communication (I.E.C.)
- Strong documentation, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a variety of different cultural contexts.
- Experience in team leadership and be a team leader
- Written and spoken English is essential, knowledge of swahili and any of the languages spoken by the refugees is an advantage
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs
- Negotiation skill and dealing with host community, NGOs/UN and local govt.
- An understanding of gender and development issues
- Willingness to live and work in remote and challenging field conditions or locations.
- Be a team player and facilitate activity implementation to be undertaken within the agreed periods and timeframe.
- Demonstrable experience of integrating gender and diversity into emergency response programmes and longer-term strategies..
- Knowledge of and commitment to humanitarian principles (NGO/ Red Cross Code of Conduct) and with the Sphere Humanitarian Charter minimum standards.
- Understanding of the aims and objectives of Oxfam including ways of working.
How To Apply for Oxfam Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled