World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: National Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Specialist
Report to: MEAL Manager
Location: Kampala National Office
Purpose of the position:
To provide technical guidance and leadership in line with effective Programme/Project design processes, facilitate research and documentation, manage and conduct assessments, baselines and evaluations and foster evidence based learning and reflection in line with the WVU strategic plan.
Programme Design Processes
- Provide technical guidance and leadership in design processes at AP and Project level
- Support the roll out of DPA processes and the effective use of LEAP at project and Programme Level by ensuing quality LEAP annual and multi-year plans (Log frames, M&E Plans, ITTs and DIPs)
- Support Technical Programme/CESP in having quality TP designs and plans (M&E Frameworks)
- Support the grant acquisition process by participating in proposal development
Research and Documentation
- Promote evidence based learning through undertaking research and documentation at National and Programme level
- Support the roll out of research initiatives or products being piloted by the National Office, Support Offices, Global Center or National structures
- Support programs in documenting and disseminating innovations and new research findings related to MEAL
- Synthesize and summarize trends using AP monitoring data and data generated from evaluations in form of meta data that can be used to inform national level programming
- Collaborate with academic research institutions and take lead on the IRB/Research clearance procedures
Assessments and evaluations
- Assure that baselines and evaluations are conducted in accordance to partnership/donor guidelines and standards, participate in development and review of Terms of References, provide technical backstopping to baselines, assessments and evaluations, collaborate with consultants, support offices or partners.
- Provide technical guidance in conducting AP/Project assessments in line with established LEAP or donor related guidelines at Programme and National level.
- Supervise consultants to implement special surveys and studies such as baselines and evaluations required for evaluating programs effects and impacts.
- Build and foster relationships with academic and research institution, government stakeholders, non-governmental organizations, and work with them to advance M&E methodology, in close coordination with the MEAL Manager
- Contribute to all program development, research and needs assessments by monitoring the changing needs of target communities, identifying opportunities in line with WV Uganda mission & strategy and monitoring international best practices and development trends.
- Monitor and follow up on utilization of recommendations from evaluation surveys across Programme.
- Conduct meta-evaluations of all completed program evaluations to establish key learnings and recommendations to inform programming
- Take lead on disseminating evaluation findings and documenting major key lessons and findings from evaluations for organizational learning and decision making.
Evidence based Learning and Reflection
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the organizational learning agenda
- Promote evidence based learning through data driven or evidence based reflection and learning in line with reflection and learning guidelines
- Support all programs and or projects in documenting, disseminating innovations, best practices and new research findings related to MEAL
- Support programs to generate Most Significant Change evidence in form text i.e. magazines, or digital videos.
- Promote and facilitate processes for identifying, documenting and disseminating good MEAL practices at a Programme and National Level
- Design and implement a system to identify, analyze, document and disseminate lessons learned
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- A Master’s degree in Monitoring & Evaluation, Statistics, Public health, Demography, Biostatistics, or a related field is required.
- Being a member of the Uganda Evaluation Association or any other Evaluation Association is an added advantage
- Minimum of five years of work experience in managing data intensive programs in designing, monitoring, and evaluation methodologies is highly desirable.
- Experience in proposal writing and development, grants management, Report writing, research, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative M&E data collection and analysis methods, including tracking outcome indicators, is desirable.
- Knowledge of designing and managing M&E systems at a national level for effective generation of monitoring data used in tracking Programme and improved service delivery and support related to development programming
- Experience in designing M&E methodologies and tools, and the ability to coach and train others in their use is desirable.
- Excellent command of MS Excel, and working knowledge of at least two statistical data management packages/software’s (quantitative & qualitative) e.g., SPSS, Nvivo/Nudist, EPIINFO, STATA etc
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting, and reporting on M&E results so that lessons can be learned and incorporated into programming is desirable.
- Ability to work with inter-disciplinary teams and a wide range of program/project activities
- Strong report writing and communication skills
- Proactive personality, self-driven and strongly motivated
- Capacity/potential in leadership, relationship management/networking, and coordination.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Good interpersonal skills, team player, facilitation skills and strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven conceptual & analytical skills, ability to take an evidence-based approach to programming
The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 30% of the time, plus occasional international travel