Job Title: – Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021 No Experience Livestock Student Intern
Organization: Mercy Corps Uganda
Duty Station: Kabong/Amudat
Reports Directly to: Senior Finance Officer
Supervisory Responsibility: Finance Assistants and Graduate trainees (Kampala based)
Mercy Corps Uganda Profile
Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Karamoja, Acholi, West Nile and Central sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, DFID, EU, USDA and private foundations.
The $41 million USAID Food for Peace Activity (Apolou) and the $5 million USAID Resilience Challenge Fund (RCF) Activity support agriculturalists, agro-pastoralists, and pastoralist households living across the districts of Amudat, Kotido, Kaabong, Karenga, and Moroto in Karamoja.
Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, NARWOA and Riam Riam), TUNADO, FIDA Uganda, Strong Minds and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC). Apolou’s goal is to “improve the overall food and nutrition security of vulnerable households in Kaabong, Kotido, Moroto and Amudat districts within the Karamoja region,” and has major 4 objectives as follows:
- Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security
- Adolescent girls, Pregnant and Lactating Women, and Children under 5 are nutritionally secure
- Reduced incidences of WASH related diseases
- Improved livelihoods and income support household food security
The RCF program works in the districts of Kaabong and Amudat, with the goal to “Improve the veterinary governance and increase public and private investment in disease prevention, surveillance, control and response systems to strengthen productive assets for improved resilience in Karamoja.” RCF has the following objectives:
- Increased domestic resource allocation into animal health services in Karamoja
- Central and local government develop animal health services capacity-strengthening plan for the Karamoja region
- Disease control plan for economically prioritized diseases (PPR and FMD) developed and implemented
- Private sector animal health development strategy developed and rolled out
The Livestock intern student will be at the forefront of implementation the Animal Health for Resilience Activity within the broader Apolou Activity. And work in close collaboration with the Apolou Activity livestock team and the broader Apolou teams, government stakeholders especially the district veterinary offices and Ministry of Agriculture Animal industry and fisheries, USAID and other implementing partners in Karamoja. The position will have the responsibility to improve veterinary governance and increased public and private investment in disease prevention, surveillance, control and response systems to strengthen productive assets for improved resilience in Karamoja.
Learning Objectives: By the end of the program, the student intern should’ve gained the following:
- Actively participated in work planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of progress
- Mobilized and facilitated the engagements of stakeholders during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora
- Written accurate and timely reports pertaining to all planned activities in the required format.
- Documented and maintained records pertaining to training, production activities forward issues to management for decisions and appropriate action in line with Mercy Corps policies.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participate in desk review and interview experts in public animal health systems to capture lessons learned and recommendations. With this information and in close consultation with district officials, Propose and co create different models such as an event- and indicator- based surveillance, and community-based surveillance systems in Kaabong and Amudat
- Participate in the development and operationalization of active and passive livestock disease surveillance, Livestock Early Warning System LEWs and response mechanisms in Kaabong and Amudat districts.
- Organize, participate and support in meetings and workshops to support strengthening of veterinary epidemiology capacities
- Work in coordination with the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)- DVOs at the district level to prepare and endorse an animal health services capacity-strengthening plan for the Karamoja region
- Coordinate with other program Livestock, Livelihoods and Apolou teams to support activity integration and information sharing within Apolou and other similar programs
- Make on site visits regularly to monitor progress of activities and provide strategic measures for progress to maximize the programs’ economic and social impacts on the community
- Prepare and submit periodic/ weekly work plans and activity reports to the Animal health manager
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepare and implement activities as per their weekly work plan, which will be derived from the team weekly plans.
- Prepare and submit weekly reports of the activities implemented.
- Prepare and submit monthly timesheet detailing days worked.
Minimum Qualifications for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
- Should have in his/ her final year pursuing a bachelor’s degree in veterinary medicine,
- Should present recommendation letters by the head of department-usually dean or principle of the institute.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office is a must.
- Should be proficient in written and spoken English. Knowledge of any Karamojong dialect is an advantage.
Mercy Corps student intern represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How To Apply for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 10th May 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.