Job Title: Fresher Laboratory Technologist – Makerere University Jobs 2021
Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Duty Station: Fort Portal
Position Number: MUWRP/02/06/2021
Makerere University Walter Reed Project Profile:
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support in Kayunga, Mukono and Buvuma districts.
The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for MUWRP JMEDDIC laboratory located in Fort portal at the Regional Referral Hospital. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to maintain proficiency in current laboratory procedures such as general QA/QC, Specimen accessioning, and PBMC processing, Clinical Chemistry Manual and automated Haematology. Additionally, he/she is expected to perform Laboratory safety duties and learn new research techniques as they come into the laboratory.
This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities as well as other project activities that pertain to the laboratory and its scientific development. The incumbent may be required to assist the senior staff in teaching new technologists/technicians and volunteer students in laboratory practices.
Roles and responsibilities:
1. Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning and PBMC, Plasma and serum processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples.
2. Proficiently conduct Automated and Manual Haematology as established in the SOPs for each assay.
3. Proficiently conduct clinical chemistry, troubleshooting and maintenance of the equipment as established in the SOPs and operator’s manual.
4. Proficiently perform pregnancy and urinalysis assays as established in the SOPs.
5. The incumbent will be required to work closely with the various heads of sections in the MUWRP Laboratory in Mulago.
6. Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
7. Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
8. Experience or knowledge in the IPC principles and or willingness to participate in regular IPC training drills
Minimum Qualifications for Makerere University Jobs 2021
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field.
2. 1-2 years’ experience with PBMC processing as well as conducting clinical chemistry, manual and automated hematology will be an added advantage.
PHYSICAL ABILITY: Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The ability to leave in Fort Portal and travel unexpectedly to research sites. The position holder will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the MUWRP’s Laboratory Manager technically and administratively report to the Program Manager.
The position may require working evenings and weekends. Concurrence with working in an Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) setting is required. Training for working in an ETU will be provided including regular training sessions for Viral Hemorrhagic Fever (VHF) outbreak work.”
How To Apply for Makerere University Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified applicants should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 25th June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.