Job Title: Fresher Biomedical Scientist – Makerere University Jobs 2021
Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Duty Station: Mulago Laboratory
Position Number: MUWRP/05/06/2021
Makerere University Walter Reed Project Profile:
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support in Kayunga, Mukono and Buvuma districts.
The incumbent will serve as a Biomedical Scientist for the Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) College of American Pathologist (CAP) accredited laboratory located at College of Health Sciences in Kampala. The biomedical scientist will serve under the immediate supervision of, and report to the Laboratory Manager or his/her designee. The incumbent will be required during his/her service to work closely with laboratory management to ensure that the mandate of Makerere University Walter Reed Project is fulfilled.
The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to maintain proficiency in current laboratory procedures such as general QA/QC, specimen accessioning, PBMC processing, safety testing, serology, molecular biology and immunology. Additionally, the technologist is expected to perform laboratory safety duties and learn new research techniques as well as other activities that pertain to its scientific development.
This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities. The incumbent may be required to teach new technologists/technicians and volunteer students in laboratory practices.
The incumbent may be required to perform their duties away from the main MUWRP lab in Kampala at other MUWRP sites within Uganda such as, but not limited to, Fort Portal, Mukono and Kayunga.
Roles and responsibilities:
1. Proficiently perform specimen accessioning and PBMC, plasma and serum processing per SOP without daily oversight.
2. Proficiently conduct safety tests such as hematology, clinical chemistry as established in the SOPs for each assay.
3. Proficiently perform serological assays as established in the SOPs.
4. Proficiently perform immunology assays as established in the SOPs.
5. Proficiently perform serology assays for various pathogens as per the SOPs.
6. Proficiently conduct molecular biology assays as established in the SOPs.
7. Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
8. Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
9. The incumbent will handle sample shipment, including preparing all paperwork to accompany the shipment.
10. Adhere to safety SOPs and suggest new ways of assuring lab safety. The incumbent will report any safety issues to the Lab Manager and the Lab Director.
11. Monitor reagent and supply inventories and update Laboratory Manager, Director and Logistics department as appropriate.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications for Makerere University Jobs 2021
Knowledge and demonstrated practice of safety and diagnostic/parasitological/molecular biology assays is required. The incumbent must be currently registered with the Allied Health Professional’s Council.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory sciences or any related science laboratory field.
PHYSICAL ABILITY: Demonstrated ability to professionally communicate verbally and in writing, or other means deemed appropriate. The incumbent should have ability to travel to and from work and the Project’s collaborative sites in Fort Portal, Mukono and Kayunga. The incumbent will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors. The incumbent is also expected to be able to sit for extended periods of time and to work for prolonged hours as may be dictated by the prevailing workload.
How To Apply for Makerere University Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified applicants should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 25th June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.