Job Title: 2 Fresher Laboratory Technologists – Makerere University Jobs 2021
Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Duty Station: Mulago
Position Number: MUWRP/04/06/2021
Makerere University Walter Reed Project Profile:
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support in Kayunga, Mukono and Buvuma districts.
The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for MUWRP laboratory located in Kampala. The Technologist will serve and train under the immediate supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor or designee. The incumbent will report to the Laboratory Supervisor. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to maintain proficiency in current laboratory procedures such as general QA/QC, Specimen accessioning and cell processing and Hematology.
Additionally, he is expected to perform Laboratory safety duties and learn new research techniques as they come into the laboratory.
This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities as well as other Project activities that pertain to the laboratory and its scientific development. The incumbent may be required to assist the senior staff in teaching new technologists/technicians and volunteer students in laboratory practices. The incumbent may be required to perform their duties away from the main MUWRP lab in Kampala. MUWRP may have sites within Uganda which Technologists may be required to work such as but not limited to Bundibugyo/Kayunga.
Roles and responsibilities:
1. Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning and PBMC, Plasma and serum processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples.
2. Proficiently conduct Automated and Manual Hematology including Malaria microscopy as established in the SOPs for each assay.
3. Proficiently conduct clinical chemistry, troubleshooting and maintenance of the Cobas Integra machine as established in the SOPs and operator’s manual.
4. Proficiently conduct Pregnancy and urinalysis as established in the SOP’s for each assay.
5. The incumbent will be required during his/her training in the Principle laboratories at Makerere University/Walter Reed Project at Medical School in Kampala to work closely with the various heads of sections.
6. Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
7. Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications for Makerere University Jobs 2021
1. The incumbent will initially be introduced to the QA/QC policies in the laboratory and learn PBMC, Plasma, processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples. Knowledge and practice of Hematology, Chemistry, Pregnancy and urinalysis testing is required along with their specific control measures.
2. The Technologist must be aware of the logistics used in the laboratory and be conscious of laboratory safety issues at hand.
3. This is also true for all equipment used regardless who is responsible according to the monthly duty roster and/or the head of that section.
4. Occasionally new laboratory activities will be initiated and the incumbent may be requested to learn the experiment protocol.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technology, Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field. Diploma in medical laboratory technology will be an added advantage.
PHYSICAL ABILITY: Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The incumbent should have ability to travel to and from work and the Project’s collaborative sites in Kayunga, Entebbe and any other if necessary. The incumbent will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors. The incumbent is also expected to able to sit for extended periods of time.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager or designee as mutually agreed upon with the Laboratory Director.
How To Apply for Makerere University Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified applicants should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 25th June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.