Job Title: 2 Clinical Nurses – IOM Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: VN/UG/002/2021
Classification: General Service G4
International Organisation for Migration (IOM) Profile
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Medical Officer and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will assist in the processing of migration health assessment of migrants.
Roles and Responsibilities:
He/she will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate migration health assessment with the Migration Health Nurse working for various resettlement countries and other visa applicants as well as facilitate health assessment for USRAP, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK TB Detection Programme and some European country and submission of complete medical documents.
- Implement migration health related activities such as filling personal/applicant details, history taking, organizing medical files including laboratory results and x-rays, and performing medical follow up as requested by the Migration Health Nurse.
- Identify migrant for true and likeness appearance and perform blood collection, urine and sputum specimen collections, and x-ray procedures.
- Coordinate and liaise with x-ray department, laboratory units, clinics and referral hospitals and sets appointments for various follow up.
- Inform Migration Health Nurse that the migrant has completed treatment(s) prescribed, and ensures that required reports are provided to the appropriate parties as well as coordinate and maintain precise tracking records of all medical reviews.
- Coordinate with Migration Health Nurse about fitness to travel of migrants and conduct pre-departure checks, de-worming, and anti-malarial treatments. Report this information to the Migration Health Nurse.
- Prepare monthly reports for all cases cleared to travel and those on medical hold with projected clearance.
- Initiate anti -TB treatment for eligible migrants as per the panel physician’s recommendation, provide directly observed therapy (DOT) for patients at IOM TB clinic, monitor treatment progress and drugs side effects, conduct monthly evaluation, observe DOT’s during the weekend, perform home visits and contact tracing, provide Health Education and counseling for TB patients and contacts.
- Ensure safekeeping and monitoring of TB drug inventory and tracking of expiry date, request of supplementary feeding for patients and other medical items on timely manner.
- Compile required reports and timely submission to the National TB Program and IOM Regional Office.
- Perform vaccination for migrants as prescribed by the Migration Health Nurse, updates vaccination data, maintains cold chain and ensures safekeeping of the vaccines.
- Travel to camps and other field missions with the mobile team and perform all activities requested by the Migration Health Nurse.
- Encode data on spreadsheet, compile monthly statistical reports as required and ensure appropriate filing system for all reports and records.
- Safe-keep, monitor and organize medical stock and inventory track expiry date. Consolidate and places quarterly medical orders for supplies.
- Perform local and international medical escort duties as required.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Completed secondary education from an accredited education institution preferably with Diploma in Nursing with 4 years working experience in the related field, Or Bachelor degree with 2 years working experience.
- The related experience in a clinic or hospital in the areas of: TB Programs, VCT, migration health, disease control and international public health; Training and experience in TB, VCT, communicable diseases and migration health is a requirement.
- Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be an advantage
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases and migration health is considered an asset.
- Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Capacity to work independently; able to carry out tasks with attention to detail; and demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality;
- Available at short notice to travel within the country and to other countries;
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda. Ability and willingness to work in difficult areas/situations;
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following behavioral competencies:
- Teamwork – Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results – produces and delivers quality services in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge – Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability – Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delighted work.
- Communication – Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply for IOM Uganda Jobs 2021
For an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Interested applicants may send their applications to [email protected] Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/002/2021 and Clinical Nurse (G4) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
- Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Posting period: From 18 May 2021 to 1 June 2021
Deadline: 1st June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.