Job Title: Public Engagement Officer – IDI Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Infectious Disease Institute
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Infectious Diseases Institute Profile:
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening.
The Public Engagement Officer (PEO) is a new role with the aim to bring creative approaches to support leadership, strategic planning and organisational direction for community engagement and involvement activities within the Research Programme at IDI. The PEO will rely on strategic understanding of research projects objectives/findings, strong relationship building skills and broad public engagement to enhance the number of diverse globally/locally focused engagement opportunities for the IDI stakeholders’ community. S/he will collaborate with Principal Investigators (PIs) to provide support and guidance on globally/locally themed public engagement initiatives. Develops, implements, and promotes engagement opportunities that cater to the needs of the community and research strategic goal in collaboration with leadership. Plans, creates and implements internal and external research communication campaigns. Creates, edits and disseminates written research communications and visibility content. Input into designing and developing print and digital research materials via email, social media, IDI research webpages, digital signs, video, flyers and/or posters. Tracks evolving trends and adopts best practices for research community engagement and involvement initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with PIs and Research Department leadership to develop new, relevant, and impactful public engagement activities that are aligned with the IDI mission and research goal.
- Develops and maintains a public engagement and involvement framework for the research programme; identifying locally focused opportunities for collaboration with the community
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with IDI research scientists, staff and community
- Promotes and represents the research programme at community events, committee meetings, national and international conferences
- Identifies key individuals and/or groups at IDI and community that can contribute to the development of and/or benefit from research focused programs and events
- Serves as the Research Programme’s public engagement and involvement initiatives subject matter liaison
- Participates in public engagement and involvement initiatives, provides guidance, coaching, and science communication training to researchers
- Develops, posts and monitors content and analytics for At The EQUATOR social media channels, and works in partnership with the IDI communications team to develop content for the IDI research social media channels
- In partnership with the IDI Communications Department, writes, edits, and/or proofreads research communications content (relevant stories, press releases, web content, print materials)
- Plans and develops story ideas, creates written and visual content for the assigned research projects
- Designs research visibility and information materials (brochures, event invitations, etc) and graphics for social media postings and digital signage
- Coordinates and collaborates on news with other institutional level communications professionals
- Manages financial allocations, processes, and budgets for assigned public engagement events
- Prepares operational reports and analysis to evaluate performance and to inform decision-making processes related to public engagement
- Conducts interest surveys and/or meetings and maintains a pulse of IDI research community’s interest and engagement
- Develops project timelines, and manages public engagement portfolio, milestones and deliverables
Minimum Qualifications for IDI Uganda Jobs 2021:
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Knowledge of partnerships and event management
- Knowledge of local community resources, community leaders and organisations
- Adept in the principles and practices of equitable and inclusive community engagement
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with a broad range of constituents, including research scientists, research staff and partners
- Able to navigate diplomatic protocol related to events that include community leaders and government representatives
- Knowledge and skills in building and sustaining relationships (intermediate to advanced)
- Able to work in a high energy environment under pressure
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgement, organisation, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite, use of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Able to communicate creatively, for example through art, graphic design, music, drama, writing or other approaches
- Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in related field (Preferred: Degree in Public Relations or Communications, but could include Nursing or a Science-related discipline).
- Event planning and management experience related to communications and/or public relations for at least 2 years will be an added advantage.
How To Apply for IDI Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline : 10th January 2021
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.