IDI Head of Human Resource Department
Jobs at:Infectious Diseases Institute College of Health Sciences Makerere University
Deadline of this Job:
10 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Develop, implement and monitor an annual HR work plan in line with the IDI Strategic Plan (and periodically contribute to the review and further development of the HR section of the IDI Strategic Plan). Ensure HR plans support the achievement of both the programmatic and business objectives of the organisation, but are also flexible enough to cope with changes in the organisation, as and when they occur
• Maintain up-to-date information and provide reports in key areas, including: staff turnover, references, cost per hire, and training hours per person.
• Conduct training needs analysis, design and implement a training plan with input from department heads. Manage training costs to budget.
• Co-ordinate recruitment throughout the organisation through management of a recruitment team/HR team. Build relationships with recruiters, draft briefs, set up interviews where necessary. Interview senior hires when necessary.
• Deal with any performance, grievance and/or disciplinary issues in a legally compliant and professional way.
• Ensure all HR policies and procedures are up-to-date, legally compliant and well documented ; drive the implementation , monitoring and periodic/scheduled updating of such policies and procedures to meet evolving organizational needs ; maintain high quality contracts
• Provide day to day advice to line managers on all human resource issues.
• Maintain and update the IDI pay scale; arrange for periodic remuneration surveys and other mechanisms to demonstrate IDI’s comparability/competiveness in the HR market; review all staff salaries and benefits and make recommendations for pay and benefit adjustments in consultation with department Heads or remuneration committee; Implement any increases and promotions.
• Maintain a succession and/or employee growth and promotion plan for all departments.
• Ensure payroll is completed accurately and to deadline.
• Act as the professional and positive face of HR for the organisation.
• Maintain a strong working knowledge of employment law ensuring the organisation remains compliant and be able to apply this knowledge to a variety of situations using a pragmatic and common sense approach, and take legal advice when necessary.
• Drive the automation of HR functions with a view to improving efficiency.
Desirable skills & qualities:
• Demonstrated experience developing and implementing successful Human Resources Strategies
• At least ten years managing the Human resource function in a dynamic organization
• Can quickly establish credibility and respect and build strong working relationships with department managers. Demonstrable maturity and professionalism
• Ability to recognize the value and responsibility of working in a team. Can actively support and develop team members, and is quick to identify and problem solve any issues.
• Works with others in a collaborative and solutions focused manner to achieve win-win outcomes.
• Able to work to deadlines and adapt to changing conditions and has capacity to generate effective and pragmatic solutions to new situations and problems.
• Capacity to inspire confidence of senior management and other managers through timely delivery of information and plans.
• Experienced in coaching managers
• Commercial acumen – has a good overall understanding of finance and uses this information to push back and support managers in resource and succession planning
• Demonstrated ability to comprehensively review all HR processes/systems; and to realistically plan and effectively implement improvements to such systems (and to rigorously and systematically document all HR systems); and to monitor adherence to all human resource processes/procedures.
• Experience working in an NGO environment with a background in Health is desired
• HR systems analysis, design, documentation, implementation and monitoring.
• Strategic thinking coupled with Business Acumen.
• Effective Communication.
• Critical Evaluation.
• Unwavering Ethical Practice.
• Global & Cultural Awareness.
• HR Expertise.
• Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in HR Management, Business or Public Administration, Social Sciences, Education or related area is required
• Recognized Human Resource (HR) professional certification/credentials at senior to executive level
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply at: https://idi.mak.ac.ug/hrms/jobs/selected/58