Job Title: Human Resources Manager – Heritage International School Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Heritage International School
Duty Station: Kampala
Reports to: Head of School
Heritage International School Profile:
Heritage International School is an all-age Christian international school located in the suburbs of Kampala, Uganda. It opened in 1994 to support children of ex-pat missionaries but has since expanded to welcome those of all faiths and none, whilst still remaining true to its core Christian values. We have over 40 nationalities represented and are currently moving towards our full capacity of 550 students.
The Human Resource (HR) Manager will lead and direct the routine functions of the HR department including interviewing and hiring staff, discussing and calculating pay, benefits, and leave, while ensuring that School policies and practices are followed. The successful candidate will benefit from person-to-person interaction and relationship building, supporting employees directly, coordinating, planning and executing HR activities; this may involve guiding management through the various HR disciplines (recruitment process, benefits programs, training in conjunction with the Admin Team, employment disputes) and other administrative needs, which are important to employees within the school. The HR function aims overall to deliver effective and efficient support, maintaining the agreed standards of service, to the students, staff and parents who make up the school community.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff in the department.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
Additional Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develops, updates and oversees the school’s recruitment strategy to achieve the Mission of the School
- Liaises with global recruitment providers including updating school profiles and compiling, posting, monitoring and evaluating all advertisements including analysing data and quality of applicants
- Works in partnership with the Head of School and the Principals in hiring teaching, office and administration staff; advertising positions; soliciting applications; requesting references; following up on police checks and other documentation; arranging interviews; participating in the interview process of office personnel; communicating with potential candidates; finalising salaries and benefits; preparing contracts; and initiating and implementing a plan for teacher retention.
- Ensures that job descriptions and terms of service are up to date, accurate and distributed to all staff on hiring
- Researches, develops and oversees retention strategies for our growing and diverse body of staff
- Supports all new staff through the transition period, working with the Head of School and Principals to create an informative and comprehensive orientation.
- Assists Principals and Supervisors in developing Professional Development opportunities for all staff including essential training that requires updating e.g. First Aid training, Christian Philosophy of Education requirement for accreditation, coordination of the Office Management Team professional development.
- Monitors salary and benefit scales in like schools ensuring that we are competitive and instigating a review as needed
- Acts as a source of advice and support to all personnel in relation to HR Manager duties
- Prepares written reports on hiring needs to be shared with the Board as necessary
- Works in partnership with the Immigration Officer to oversee the acquisition of work permits for school employees as needed
- Oversees the staff who are sick, including managing insurance claims, in conjunction with Finance.
- Oversees the management of maternity and paternity leave according to Ugandan law
- Keeps records of sick, personal and annual leave of school staff
- Oversees annual leave schedules for staff including managing coverage over breaks
- Prepares contracts for school employees including arrangements for social security, health insurance, salary, and benefits.
- Maintains and updates personnel files ensuring that they are stored securely and are only accessed by those authorized to do so
- Ensures that probationary periods are monitored and actively managed and any personnel issues are followed up and carefully documented according to Ugandan law.
- Ensures that all volunteers, interns, and staff directly employed by parents, complete our application process including police checks and reference checks
- Oversees accommodation for new teachers in conjunction with Finance and Operations Manager
- Develops and grows the Alumni Association
- Supports the Staff Events Committee in creating an environment of community by planning/coordinating staff meetings, parties, other events as required
- Maintains policy and procedure manuals with approved Board changes in relation to her responsibilities as HR Manager
- Maintains Teacher Handbook in liaison with the Principals
- Coordinate and ensure completion of employee exit interviews. Report outcome of exit interview information to Board and tracks/maintains data
- Plan, direct and coordinate activities related to the operations of the school
- Minimum 3 years of experience working as HR Manager or HR position
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of the Internet, GSuite, and OfficeA personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Possess Certification in Human Resources or Management
- Show evidence of recent professional growth
- Give evidence of previous successful experience in school or business management / Human Resources
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrate a life congruent with our Statement of Faith of Heritage International School
- Model a personal commitment to Christ and Bible-based Christian living
- Maintain personal devotional and prayer life
- Member of a Christian Church, either locally or abroad
- Seek to inspire others to Christian commitment, faith, and living
- Contribute toward and maintains a positive Christian spiritual environment
- Exhibit characteristics of being a life-long learner
- Consistently maintain ethical and moral personal and professional standards
- Consistently demonstrate a knowledge, and a love for a positive learning environment
- Follow the Matthew 18:15-20 principle in dealing with conflict with students, parents, staff, and administration
- Honest and trustworthy
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Good interpersonal skills
- Flexible, open minded, self driven team member
- Respectful & possesses cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to present information and make recommendations effectively in oral and written form
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrates good judgement
- Approachable and professional
- Well organized
How To Apply for Heritage International School Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled