Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
About the program
Action Against Hunger has been facilitating emergency relief and development programs in Uganda for the past 40 years. Currently, the country office manages multi-sectoral programs that assist refugees and host communities in Adjumani, Kikube, Kiryandongo and Yumbe districts to rebuild their livelihoods and achieve resilience.
You will contribute to helping end World hunger by….
providing leadership and coordination to the mission logistic department both on a strategic and operational level.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Coordinate the contribution of logistics staff towards the development of the country office strategic plan
- Lead the process of developing and executing annual logistics plans, which enable the country office to effectively execute and realize its core strategic priorities. These plans will include; procurement, fleet management, IT, facilities management and security plans.
- Lead the process of developing (and/or) implementing Action Against Hunger standards which govern key logistics functions
- Ensure that logistics plans are reviewed and updated regularly (monthly/quarterly)
- Track procurement priorities (from planning – to procurement – to pay) and ensures that these processes are efficiently executed and projects receive timely and quality inputs.
- Support the IT team to provide timely and quality IT infrastructure and support across the organization
- Partner with HR to ensure that Action Against Hunger Uganda attracts and develops a highly productive team of logistics professionals
- Partner with field coordinators to provide ongoing technical support, coaching/mentoring to logistics staff across the organization
- Lead the development of country-level security plans (in alignment with the country office strategic plan)
- Provide ongoing security advisory/updates to all visitors and ensures that all visitors adhere to our minimum security standards
- Responsible for overall coordination and development for all Uganda field bases security operations and delegated country program Staff, asset and reputation safety operation accountability.
Do you meet the Profile Criteria?
- Advanced university degree in Logistics, business or other related fields (professional qualifications in logistics management is preferred)
- Atleast 5 years of senior-level professional experience in a similar role, preferably international experience.
- Extensive experience in developing and executing logistics and security strategies.
- Solid experience managing complex logistics operations (including multiple projects, locations and diverse budgets and teams)
- Extensive understanding of logistics standards used by key donors (i.e., SIDA, WFP, EUTF, USAID, GFFO, UNHCR)
- Excellent analytical, team management and communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Extensive humanitarian/development industry experience.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-sectoral organization requiring strong communication, planning & organization skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to initiate good team understanding and people management
- Significant experience in security response, including demonstrated experience working with diverse field teams and being able to move to field locations to realize the same
- A strong ability to analyze strategic Safety and Security trends and develop appropriate plans and responses
- Experience in developing, reviewing, piloting, and adapting Standard Operating Procedures in medium to complex humanitarian contexts
- Willingness to deploy into bases for weeks affected by the large scale security situation
- Good Negotiation skills
Our Core values
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values.
Respect – we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity – we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity -we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence – we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment – we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
- Promote and uphold the PSEA policy and procedure.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave
- Training opportunities
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 21st January 2021.