Deadline of this Job:
27 August 2021
Within Uganda, Kampala, East Africa
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With over 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships and expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Africa Region leverages its internal and global expertise to drive transformative and innovative practices that reflect the African context. By mobilizing our pre-existing talent within the region and working with our global teams, we take innovation to scale by working alongside our Ministries of Health to reduce health disparities. With the potential for expansion, the division currently works across seven country offices and four project offices distributed among four Hubs – Southern, Western, Central, and East Africa.
PATH External Affairs Division is searching for a highly motivated leader with organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills to serve as the Head of Communications for the Africa Region. This person will lead the communications function for the region, driving and implementing strategies to reach audiences who support PATH’s business goals and mission. From streamlining editorial and design services for Africa’s regional and program communicators to developing external communications guidelines for the growing and evolving practice, the head of communications plays a critical role in devising new and innovative ways to reach staff, funders, public health partners, government officials, philanthropic partners, media, and other influencers -- and ultimately the communities we serve.
This person will report to the Director of External Affairs, Africa Region, and sit on the External Affairs -- Africa Region leadership team and the global External Affairs Marketing & Communications leadership team. The person will also work closely with PATH programs, as well as with advocacy and philanthropy teams.
• In collaboration with the Director of External Affairs - Africa Region leads the design and implementation of strategic communications plans and activities to advance PATH’s goals and build visibility for PATH among target audiences in the region.
• Build and scale a regional communications team across PATH’s African country offices by partnering with country directors and program leaders; provide leadership to this growing, matrixed communications team.
• Support the Africa Region leadership team by leading and advising on crisis communications, internal communications, and employee engagement in partnership with HR, legal, and other PATH communicators and stakeholders.
• Strengthen communications capacities within the Africa region, for more effective engagement with funders, policymakers, media, and influencers to achieve business and public health objectives, specifically writing success stories and technical briefs following donor expectations.
• Develop and produce compelling written and multimedia content to showcase PATH’s experience, expertise, evidence, and impact.
• Lead media relations for the Africa region and oversee strategic deployment and management of media and digital communications channels.
• Oversee the translation and dissemination of evidence and experience, across the Africa region, to support build PATH’s reputation and efficacy as a public health leader.
• In collaboration with country leadership teams and as appropriate- select, scope, and manage the work (and budgets) of communications firms, contractors, and vendors in support of PATH’s communications efforts, including developing and operating a communications service center for the region.
• More than 8 years of experience working in communications in public health, international development, or a related field.
• Proven leadership skills and demonstrated success managing a team of communications professionals.
• Proven success at developing and executing strategic communications plans and deploying and leveraging various media and digital communication channels and tactics to reach and engage key audiences, including media, policymakers, and influencers.
• Demonstrated experience in developing compelling communications content relevant to public health.
• Demonstrated experience in crisis communication.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Experience working in an international context and in communicating and working with across time zones.
• Diplomacy and tact as an advisor to senior executives and as an external representative to partners and audiences in visible roles and settings.
• Experience providing communications training and capacity building of colleagues; experience with developing-country cultures preferred.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, and project management skills.
• Adept at working in a team and multi-stakeholder environment.
• Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers.
• PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
• All active jobs are advertised directly on our career page.
• Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org or @silkroad.com address.
Please report any suspicious communications to [email protected]