Green Business Development Specialist I
Jobs at:Catholic Relief Services
Deadline of this Job:
12 July 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to address needs across the country. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture and value chain, landscape restoration and climate change adaption, health and health systems strengthening, microfinance, and DRR, humanitarian response and recovery. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with other organizations, including the Catholic Church, faith-based organizations, international and Ugandan NGOs, government ministries, private sector companies and academia, for maximum impact and sustainability. CRS Uganda employs around 180 staff and has its main office in Kampala, with sub-offices in Moroto, Yumbe, and Kikuube districts. With our more than 30 partners, we served over 1m Ugandans in 2021.
About Project: The Global Evergreening Alliance (GEA), of which CRS is a member, has secured a 5 year, $ 160m investment for Restore Africa Program which covers 6 Eastern and Southern Africa Countries. In Uganda, the program will be implemented by CRS (as the lead implementing organization), CARE, World Vision, ICRAF, ECOTRUST and Uganda Landcare Network with a goal of restoring 560,000ha of degraded landscapes in the West Afromontane, Mt. Elgon and part of Karamoja. The program will pursue a small holder farmer led approach to restoration supporting profitable agroforestry systems that support profitability and productivity of farms.
The specialist will lead all aspects related to green business and enterprise development in the Restore Africa Program. S/he will provide technical support to the consortium in identification, selection, and development of profitable green enterprises. S/he will support the team in understanding all aspects one or multiple value chain(s), including existing supply and demand structures/linkages, enabling environment (regulations, financial support, innovations, inputs etc.) and underlying costs/economies. S/he will conduct market analysis of selected agroforestry products with a goal of making markets work for the poor. Identify pro-poor opportunities for growth where barriers exist and if unlocked will help promote the flow of knowledge and resources along value chains to small enterprises and farmers. Experience in business development strategies, networking, identifying, and capitalizing on business opportunities will be an asset.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
• Lead the implementation of technical, coordinating, monitoring, and reporting of green business activities throughout the project cycle - start-up, implementation, and close-out - in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
• Lead ToT trainings, coaching, monitoring, and coordination in all project activities related to green business development.
• Lead the strengthening of partnerships relevant to green enterprise development, value chains, applying appropriate partnership concepts, tools, and approaches.
• Identify and examine constraints and opportunities within the selected value chains
• Identify the underlying policy, institutional, and infrastructural issues that affect the competitiveness and exclusion of selected value chains
• Identify institutions and organizations working on selected value chains that can contribute to pro-poor value chain development.
• Identify alliance staff capacity needs, technical assistance needs of partner organizations and contribute to capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality program implementation.
• Assist with preparation of market trends analysis reports and disseminate results.
• Develop and maintain relationships with financial institutions and support them in developing bespoke financial products for farmers
• Take the lead in advising farmers on enterprise and business selection, provide insight into product development and competitive positioning of green businesses.
• Work with M&E to conduct market research to identify new business and market opportunities.
• Take the lead in supporting farmers develop business plans for their farms.
• Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
• Master's Degree in Business Administration, agri-business, or a relevant technical area.
• Minimum of 5 years of work experience in technical or management positions in the field of agri-business, preferably for a donor funded, time-bound project.
• Proven understanding of green businesses.
• Experience in value chain projects or programs.
• Experience in business development, marketing strategies and expansion.
• Additional experience may substitute for some education.
• Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience working with stakeholders at various levels and strengthening community partnerships.
• Ability to contribute to the development of technical proposals, a plus.
• Experience analyzing data and contributing to evaluation reports.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
• Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with local stakeholders.
• Ability to contribute to written reports.
• Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
• Very strong writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
• Demonstrated experience with competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
• Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
• Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
• Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
• Good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
• Good negotiation skills.
• Very good communications and presentation skills.
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions & service-oriented and results-oriented.
Required Languages – English fluency, including excellent oral and written skills, required.
Travel Required: Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships: Internal: Head of Programming; Head of Operations; Finance Manager; Country Representative; Restore Africa staff and Program Managers.
External: Other agency business development staff, Partner proposal development technical staff, donors (as appropriate)
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff) These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
• Accountability & Stewardship
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to [email protected] by July 12th 2022 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy, paste – GREENBUSINESSDEVELOPMENTSPECIALISTI only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V