The Finance Officer is responsible for ensuring that all financial, operational and administrative aspects of SESIL run effectively. The Finance Officer will be responsible for ensuring effective administration of financial operations at Regional Office. The incumbent will support the Project Accountant in the national SESIL office in Kampala, in overall management of finance resources and application of internal controls.
Project Monitoring & Reporting
- Provide support to the Project Accountant to produce forecasts and budgets for work activities based on the estimates on the Rolling Work Plan (RWP). This includes collating activity costing and providing support for preparation of the working estimates.
- Ensure that timely, accurate, and appropriate information is available to the programme management team.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required for delivery of the programme.
- Assist with the preparation of bank reconciliation statements and ensure they are checked and approved for submission within deadline.
- Assist in carrying out timely bank transactions and, also to deposit cheques into vendors accounts.
- Responsible for petty cash management and ensuring regular reconciliation of cash balance for review. Accountable for cash count and reporting on cash count exercise to the management.
- Responsible for recording cash and transactions into the applicable bank or cash book. Ensure records are available for regular checking and are up to date to meet deadline for submission to the UK head office.
- Provide support for payment and disbursement of cash payments e.g. per diems. To produce reconciliation of payment and supporting document for appropriate retirement.
- Assist with the compilation of Vendors’ list and collation of vouchers for batch processing within the financial system.
- Assist in the preparation of all payment vouchers, and cheques and ensure the timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
- Checking and ensuring that all payment vouchers meet the minimum audit requirement by checking for approvals and necessary supporting documentations.
- Ensuring tax compliance; more specifically with reference to the withholding tax as per the relevant provisions
- Support the Project Accountant and Accounts Clerk in the preparation and the subsequent activities for external e.g. client, and internal audits, as and when required
- Operationalise the Mott MacDonald Business Management Systems (BMS) procedures, including health, safety and security as required by Cambridge Education/Mott MacDonald for the project;
- Contribute as required to programme reporting related to the areas above;
- Must have relevant experience in Finance.
- Promote healthy work ethics, good governance and anti-corruption behaviour;
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Programme Manager.
- The applicant must hold a degree or equivalent in Accounting/finance or related discipline
- Significant relevant work experience in a related field
- Excellent numeracy and accountancy skills
- Experience of working for an international organisation, preferably in the development/humanitarian sector;
- Experience in budget management
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of MS Office systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to think ahead and produce accurate information;
- Willingness to be flexible and respond in a timely manner to support colleagues in the Kampala office as required.
- Experience in operating within environments with diverse cultures and practices;
SESIL (Strengthening Education Systems for Improved Learning), is a four-year education programme designed to improve the quality and equity of measurable learning outcomes at lower primary level in Uganda. SESIL will do this by strengthening the systems needed to manage and raise the performance of four key drivers of learning outcomes: teachers, schools, districts, and assessment and examinations.
The Finance Officer will be based in the SESIL Regional Office in Arua/Mbale but will work closely with the Programme Management & Administration Team in Kampala. The successful incumbent will work in close coordination with the Regional Officer Manager, Admin Officers and Technical team, as well as liaising closely with the team in Kampala. The Finance Officer will support the Project Accountant and Accounts Clerk in recording and retrieving financial details of the company, including maintaining financial records, processing payments, cash handling and reconciliations.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website :
Closing Date : 26 Dec, 2020