Finance Assistant – Clerical
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
24 May 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
• Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
• Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
• Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
This position reports to the Senior Finance Officer-Subcontracts. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
• Arrange and ensure proper order and completeness of all supporting documentation attached to finance/accounting vouchers. Supporting documentation will be required for travel advances, travel expense reports, activity advances, activity expense reports, procurement of goods and services, etc.
• Once vouchers and all supporting documentation are in order, systematically scan, digitally file and upload to the online Box application in a timely manner. Ensure that documents are consistent, complete with no missing pages.
• Respect all deadlines for document preparation, scanning, digital filing and uploading.
• File/archive original hard copy voucher and other documents as instructed. Ensure that files and vouchers are correctly labeled and arranged by ICYD office or other filing scheme as instructed by the supervisor. Always ensure that there are no missing vouchers and that only approved vouchers are archived.
• Work closely with the finance team to follow up with staff on all outstanding advances to ensure timely reconciliation of advances.
• Support the finance team by obtaining original invoices and receipts for VAT reporting on monthly basis. Ensure photocopies of originals are properly attached to the voucher while originals are submitted to USAID. Replace photocopies with originals when USAID returns the originals.
• Work with the finance teams to review and verify names of participants before mobile money payments are made. Contact participants with mismatches of mobile money registered names and/or numbers.
• Retrieve vouchers requested by auditors and track original vouchers that go in and out of the archives room.
• Follow up with all the ICYD zonal offices to ensure they meet monthly deadlines for submission of their original vouchers and documents for filing.
• Any other duty of a similar nature that may be assigned from time to time.
The candidate for the position of Finance Assistant – Clerical shall have the following minimum qualifications:
• Secondary education and 2 to 3 years of experience in records keeping, archiving, inventory management, or any other relevant related field is required.
• Must have at least 2 years’ experience in a similar position, demonstrating competence in record keeping, archiving, digital and hard copy file management and use of scanners, photocopiers and PDF files.
• Previous experience working on USAID-funded projects is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
• Excellent Word and Excel skills.
• Effective oral and written communication skills in English.
Job closing date: May 24, 2022
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Job application procedure
Click here to apply.