Field Research Manager
Jobs at:Center for Evaluation and Development (C4ED)
Deadline of this Job:
22 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Based in Mannheim, Germany, the Center for Evaluation and Development’s vision is to improve the lives of the poor and vulnerable by making development interventions more effective. With a strong focus on mixed-methods and quantitative impact evaluations in developing countries, C4ED is one of the leading German research centers in the areas of poverty reduction, microfinance, health insurance, education, humanitarian assistance, and nutrition. C4ED is currently conducting projects all over the world and maintains research relationships with 3ie, GCF, IFAD, ILO, IPA, J-PAL, the World Bank, and UNICEF among others.
C4ED has recently opened a foreign subsidiary in Uganda, the Deutches Center for Evaluation and Development, and is looking for a field research manager to lead survey data collections. The office is based in Gulu but travel to data collection areas will be required.
This position is open to persons with the right to work in Uganda. You will be asked to verify this as part of the interview process. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is line managed by a Senior Research Manager based in Mannheim.
• Directly line manage supervisors and directly or indirectly manage enumerators.
• Participate in and help lead enumerator training.
• Support development of survey protocols
• Conduct necessary translations of surveys, provide guidance and support to supervisors and enumerators on piloting, and provide feedback to the research team to improve survey tools
• Develop weekly plans for field work during data collection
• Ensure that data is collected in line with survey protocols and conduct quality assurance through audio checks, spot checks, and back checks
• Track enumerator errors and provide timely technical guidance to specific enumerators as required.
• Adhere to specified assessment timelines, communicating any delays and challenges encountered during data collection in a timely manner with the relevant research manager.
• Monitor that all staff comply with the specific SOP for data collection during Covid-19 as well as relevant SOPs for data protection.
• Ensure that all staff and respondents are treated with dignity and respect.
• In coordination with the administrative team, recruit, interview, and select enumerators for each data collection exercise.
• Secure all relevant permissions, approvals, and administrative introductions prior to the start of data collection.
• Enforce proper tracking, management and deployment of assets (phones, tablets, other data collection equipment) in field locations.
• Assist in making payments for fieldwork expenses and maintaining receipts and other financial records required during the execution of the project.
• Provide remote support to C4ED on other projects as required.
• Academic qualifications of at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
• Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in research, development, or humanitarian organizations, preferably in a field-based position
• At least 3 years of experience with survey data collection
• Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of time required
• Willingness to travel extensively to lead data collection across the country
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and report writing skills
• Strong leadership skills and ability to manage teams remotely
• Demonstrable ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
• Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Microsoft Excel
• Experience using SurveyCTO, ODK, SurveySolutions, or other similar programs for quantitative data collection
• Written and spoken fluency in English required; working knowledge of other local languages is expected
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
How to apply
To apply for this position, please complete this form: https://mannheimc4ed.surveycto.com/collect/field_research_manager_application?caseid=