Deputy PDQ Director – Education
Save the Children is one of the leading education actors in Uganda, with a large, complex and increasingly technically diverse education programme. The CO is urgently looking for a Deputy to the PDQ Director, to provide strategic leadership in developing and creating impact through our humanitarian and development education portfolio. The Deputy PDQ Director Education has a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in leading large education initiatives, ensuring the strategic and technical alignment of programmes to Government education reforms and initiatives. S/he has a sound technical background in programme design and delivery and proven experience in managing complex programming delivery in fragile contexts and senior level representation.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- An education professional with a Master’s Degree in education or equivalent
- Significant (at least 10 years) professional experience working at a senior advisory level in education for international organizations in complex settings. Specific experience in education in emergencies (EiE) and/or Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) is required.
- Proactive leadership skills and strong interpersonal skills to drive the education agenda and team performance.
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches.
- Ability to make links between education, livelihoods, educations and health interventions within the context of an integrated program approach
- An ability to effectively negotiate with prospective donors and a demonstrated ability to develop and write detailed technical project proposals meeting donor requirements, including budgets for the same. Strong report writing skills,
- Ability to perform at a senior policy level must be demonstrable, and good communication, advocacy and influencing skills are critical.
- The ability to liaise and effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs and community initiatives. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- A desire to learn the Ugandan political, social and cultural characteristics is expected. Have a broad appreciation for the issues and process of participatory development.
- The ability to research and utilize existing local government and other technical expertise where applicable.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Application closes on 19th February 2021 at midnight Uganda time.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent, persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents