Consultant Services for Needs Assessment in 15 PMI Districts
Deadline of this Job:
16 May 2022
Within Uganda , Uganda , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Scope of Work (SoW)
For a consultant to conduct a needs assessment in 15 districts to establish the community needs
1. Introduction and Background
The United States Agency for International (USAID)/Uganda Health System Strengthening (UHSS) Activity is an above-site health system strengthening project whose goal is to improve the performance of Uganda’s health systems through technical assistance (TA). The UHSS Activity aims to improve leadership and accountability for results in the public and private sector and across all levels of the health system, improve efficient use and management of key health systems resources and strengthen community health systems that are critical for improved and quality health services. The Activity is implemented by a consortium of partners led by Palladium International LLC., as the prime and other partners that include the Civil Society Budget Advocacy Group (CSBAG), Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI), KPMG Uganda, and Panagora Group.
UHSS has received funding from Presidential Malaria Initiative (PMI) to support 15 districts in Uganda. The fifteen districts selected were high priority level districts in the Northern, Northeastern, West Nile and Busoga regions. These districts include Kamwenge, Kyenjojo, Kagadi, Kaberamaido, Kayunga, Hoima, Bulisa, Buikwe, Mukono, Nakasongola, Kiryandongo, Mitooma, Tororo, Butaleja and Budaka. The main goal is on strengthening community systems for quality health services by improving policy and regulatory frameworks, community workforce, and accountability systems in advancing malaria objectives. To contribute to this goal, the four key objectives include: (i) Community health information systems for malaria strengthened, (ii) Community supply systems strengthened, (iii) Community engagement for local leadership on malaria reinforced, (iv) Support the development of national policies and guidelines for improved coordination and implementation of community health.
UHSS therefore seeks the services of a consultant to conduct a community needs assessment in the 15 districts to establish the baseline as well as the community needs that will inform tailored interventions to scale in each of the districts; ensuring equity, last mile engagement, local leadership, innovating to lead and reaching the unreached. The consultant will also conduct mapping of the community health workers and Village Health Teams using the community health workers registry for the 15 districts of operation.
2. Objectives of the consultancy
2.1 Main objective
The main purpose of the consultancy is to conduct a community needs assessment in the 15 PMI-selected districts.
2.2 Specific objectives of the consultancy
The specific objectives of the consultancy are to:
• Conduct a community needs assessment in 15 districts
• Establish baseline values for the measurement indicators
• Conduct mapping of the community health workers and Village Health Teams
The following are the expected deliverables and timelines:
1. Inception report that describes the approach, tools, and implementation timeline
May 30 to 3rd June, 2022
2. Conduct the assessment in the 15 districts
6th – 17th June 2022
3. Draft needs assessment report with recommendations for tailored interventions for each of the 15 districts
20th – 24th June, 2022
4. Mapping report for community health workers and VHTs
6th – 17th June 2022
5. Baseline report on the measurement indicators
6th-30th June 2022
6. Final needs assessment report that incorporates comments from reviewers
27th – 30th June 2022
4. Expected Deliverables
The expected deliverables of the consultancy will include:
a. Inception Report, including data collection and analysis tools
b. Final approved needs assessment report including the mapping of Community health workers
Note: All deliverables will have to meet expected quality and standards as assessed by the supervisor of the assignment. Should the consultant fail to deliver as per expected quality and standards, USAID/UHSS reserves the right to amend the payouts accordingly or to delay them until the satisfactory submission has been received.
The Consultant will be answerable to the Chief of Party, Uganda Health Systems Strengthening (UHSS) Activity for this assignment. The consultant will work closely with the Team Lead Community Systems, DCOP, Senior Monitoring Evaluation, Learning Advisor, and other Community systems stakeholders and partners. The consultant will submit all the hard and soft copies of the final needs assessment reports and materials to the Team Lead Community systems, DCOP and COP.
6. Minimum qualifications
The consultant must be physically located in Uganda and meet the requisite skills and experience below. The Lead Consultant should have the following experience:
• Advanced degree in public health, epidemiology, neglected tropical diseases, social sciences, medicine, international development, or management, or a comparable advanced degree in a related field; knowledge of and experience with malaria programs required
• Minimum of 10 years of conducting research, experience designing and implementing malaria programs in developing countries, and experience in Uganda preferred
• In-depth knowledge of and experience in United States Government and President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) rules and regulations preferred
• Proven experience analyzing public health data and applying the information to improve project implementation across a wide range of technical interventions
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrable ability to work effectively with government stakeholders and other stakeholders at various levels
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All interested parties are required to submit their applications highlighting their qualifications, names/ contacts of three referees, experience in conducting similar analyses, and a written quote and budget in Ugandan Shillings for completing the assignment. Palladium plans to issue a fixed price consultant agreement for this assignment. The applications should be emailed to [email protected] not later than 17:00 hours EST on Monday, May 16th, 2022.
8. Consultancy Costs and Payment Modalities
Payment will be done depending on the satisfactory delivery of the task as highlighted in the contract. There will be no costs to be paid other than the costs that will be highlighted in the contract. Competitive market rates will apply, and the consultant should submit an all-inclusive fee (lump sum) in his/her proposal. The consultant will be paid in UGX.