Jobs at:Uganda Biotechnology and Biosafety Consortium (UBBC)
Deadline of this Job:
03 September 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Uganda Biotechnology and Biosafety Consortium (UBBC) is a coalition of different stakeholders (scientists, communicators, policy makers, journalists, private sector leaders. civil society organizations etc.) with a common cause of the safe advancement of biotechnology for national development. The major activities of LHRC: guided by a ten-member Executive Center supported by a Coordinator for day-to-day running of activities. UBBC would therefore like to recruit ;
Job title: Consortium Coordinator
Duty Station: Kampala, with und level 10 other regions and countries
Term: One-year renewable contact consultancy basis.
Terms of Reference/Expectations
The successful candidate will be expected to. a)
Work with the Executive Committee (Board) to develop and implement a strategic plan for the organization that includes the organizations focus and metrics and funding sustainability and specifically.
• Prepare and oversee implementation of Consortium business plans, annual work plans and budgets
• Implement Consortium activities as per the strategic and annual work plans
• Prepare quarterly, annual and activity-based technical and financial reports
• Prepare funding proposals and submit to/engage with potential donors and partners
• Act as a secretariat for members by sharing relevant information, collecting/receiving and managing member fees, and organising member participation in relevant biotechnology, bio economy and biosafety activities.
b) Manage and oversee the affairs of the Consortium in a manner that achieves the goals set in the strategy by:
• Organizing Consortium Board Meetings and the general Assemblies and serving
• Supervising other staff and members
• Carrying out any other duties as the executive committee may determine that achieve the organization strategy
c) Lead the development and naturing of strategic partnerships that maintain the Consortium visibility and brand by
• Continuously creating awareness of the Consortium mission and vision in all relevant physical and online platforms
• Working with the host agency, Uganda National Council for Science and Technology. The national and international partners to expand the reach of the Consortium
• Representing the Consortium in key national and international features:
Qualifications and Experience:
• A minimum of a Master's Degree in any of the following sciences: agriculture, human health, food technology human nutrition plant and animal biotechnology or other related biological science fields.
• Applicants who possess a bachelor's degree in any of the above fields with a Master's degree in policy development, business administration, or development studies may also be considered.
• At least 10 years post qualification experience in biological science research, governance, teaching, practice, or policy development Must have sound knowledge of the biotechnology. Bio economy and biosafety policy
• Must have sound knowledge of bio technology, bio economy and bio safety policy and regulatory land scape at national region
• Must possess demonstrated experience in proposal writing
• Understanding and ability to execute the basic principles of effective outreach
• Experience in biosciences policy engagement will be an added advantage
Required skills and competences:
• Excellent planning, budgeting and reporting skills
• Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills including web site management and use of digital and traditional outreach materials
• Good knowledge of government policy development process
• Self-motivated, flexible, dynamic and output oriented
• Excellent networking working and leadership abilities
Reporting: The Consortium Coordinator will report to the Consortium Executive Committee
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested applicants who meet the above qualifications and competence shall submit their applications by email addressed to Dr. Peter Wasswa - the Chairperson of the UBBC on [email protected] with a copy to UNCST on [email protected] . The application shall contain a letter expressing interest in the role, a detailed Curriculum Vitae including complete addresses of three referees, copies of supporting academic documents and other qualifications. Only shortlisted candidates will he contacted. Applications must be received by 6:00PM, EAT on Monday 3rd September 2021.