Community Engagement Manager
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
25 January 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
• Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
• Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
• Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
The Community Engagement Manager will provide technical leadership and oversight to the community engagement components of ICYD including EGR and school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV). The Community Engagement Manager reports to the ICYD Institutional Development Advisor and will coordinate the work of district community development supervisors located at the zonal level. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
• Develops an overall project wide community engagement strategy to support achievement of project goals in the area of EGR, SRGBV and services to OVC and HIV affected households. The strategy includes sustaining and developing partnerships with government, NGOs, local leaders and community institutions such as community radio stations and other CSOs and NGOs active in the field;
• Coordinates with education and OVC teams to develop strategies to engage communities and key partners and stakeholders in implementing community-based interventions for early-grade reading and creation of safe schools;
• Supports district levels and district-level ICYD staff in maintaining these relationships as part of the community engagement strategy;
• Supports development and delivery of key messages, trainings, mobilization initiatives, and other activities to facilitate community support for ICYD activities;
• Explores and solicits support from NGOs, churches and other faith-based organizations, local leaders, and businesses as well as seeking professional, materials and logistical support to community schools;
• Develops work plans with clear activities on training, partnerships/sensitization, data collection and monitoring;
• Supervises District Community Engagement Supervisors in supportive supervision of community mobilization and outreach tasks;
• Writes monthly and quarterly reports summarizing community engagement activities;
• Contributes to quarterly and annual reports, success stories and other communications;
• Actively participates in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project;
• Conducts these and other tasks as required in support of ICYD Activity goals.
The candidate for the position of Community Engagement Manager shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree in a relevant field.
Skills and Experience:
• Directly relevant experience in community mobilization and development related to provision of quality education and or child protection services, preferably including social behavior change activities;
• Experience in developing and leading the implementation of community awareness-raising/sensitization and advocacy activities for education and child/youth outcomes;
• Proven experience working with gender-based violence (GBV), child protection, and/or violence prevention programming, including curricula/programs approved by GOU;
• Knowledge of local government community structures and structures for working with same;
• Experience conducting community asset mapping and/or stakeholder analysis;
• Experience conducting training for communities and other stakeholders;
• Proven ability to coordinate and manage teams;
• Understanding of the Ugandan education and child protection context;
• Knowledge of/experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects preferred;
• Ability to effectively mentor field staff and communities in one or more project topics;
• Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely;
• Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders;
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects to completion.
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of Ugandan local languages are an additional advantage.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Job closing date: January 25, 2022
Apply at: https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/EducationDevelopmentCenter/743999797661331-community-engagement-manager-uganda-icyd-activity?trid=4b13eaa8-34a2-4b41-8498-6759126a30eb