Job Title: – CIAT Uganda Jobs 2021 No Experience Technical Assistant (Seed Store)
Organization: International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Duty Station: Kawanda, Uganda
International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Profile:
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives in a climate crisis ( https://alliancebioversityciat.org ). The Alliance focuses on the nexus of agriculture, nutrition and environment, working with local, national, and multinational partners across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and with the public and private sectors and civil society. With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people.
The Alliance is a new venture created to turn food and agriculture systems around to be more sustainable healthy, and inclusive. Combining the experience and strengths of the two organizations – including genebanks, use and conservation of agrobiodiversity, climate-smart and digital agriculture, nutrition, and participatory research – will help the Alliance lead the way on six key Levers of change: (1) food environment and consumer behavior, (2) multifunctional landscapes, (3) climate action, (4) biodiversity for food and agriculture, (5) digital inclusion, and (6) crops for nutrition and health. These are all the pressure points where the Alliance can play a catalytic role with interventions that can trigger multiplier effects for positive change.
The Seed Store Technician will work with the PABRA technical team to maintain bean germplasm and keep all relevant records on the germplasm. The Technical assistant joins the Senior Research Assistant (Seed Store) to undertake seed management and seed phenotyping after harvest to ensure efficient and accurate post-harvest data. The position reports to the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) and Research Associate (Bean Breeder) and is based at National Agricultural Research Laboratories (NARL) – Kawanda.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Work with the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) to maintain an active collection of breeding materials
- Work with the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) to ensure good and acceptable seed quality through conducting regular seed testing and practising proper post-harvest seed management procedures
- Work with the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) to receive, characterize and document passport data of new germplasm in consultation with the Bean Breeders using standard templates
- Work with the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) to carry out quarterly stock taking of seed materials and submit quarterly reports to the Bean Breeder emphasizing any defects to seed materials observed.
- Work with the Senior Research Assistant (Seed store) to phenotype canning, cooking and Fe and Zn quality for selected nurseries
- Store seed materials in an orderly and accessible manner, labelling materials and the storage shelves
- Keep the seed store clean at all times and ensure all equipment is functional at all times.
- Participate in the harvesting of research materials from the field observing the quality of seed.
- Participate in timely seed preparation for on and off station PABRA research activities
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Diploma in Agriculture and/or Store Keeping
- No prior experience required but a willingness to learn
- Attention to detail, the ability to follow oral and written instructions, and knowledge of both scientific equipment
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, and email software
- Ability to communicate adequately in English
- Ability to maintain accurate records, prepare reports and make mathematical calculations.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity
- Positive attitude, courteous and strong service orientation.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Kawanda, Uganda. The contract will be for a one-year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
How To Apply for CIAT Uganda Jobs 2021
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobsto get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include reference number Ref:101956- Technical Assistant – Seed Store as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Closing Date: 17th June 2021
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .