Job Title: – CIAT Uganda Jobs 2021 Fresher Research Assistant (Plant Breeding)
Organization: International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Duty Station: Kawanda, Uganda
International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Profile:
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives in a climate crisis ( https://alliancebioversityciat.org ). The Alliance focuses on the nexus of agriculture, nutrition and environment, working with local, national, and multinational partners across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and with the public and private sectors and civil society. With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people.
The Alliance is a new venture created to turn food and agriculture systems around to be more sustainable healthy, and inclusive. Combining the experience and strengths of the two organizations – including genebanks, use and conservation of agrobiodiversity, climate-smart and digital agriculture, nutrition, and participatory research – will help the Alliance lead the way on six key Levers of change: (1) food environment and consumer behavior, (2) multifunctional landscapes, (3) climate action, (4) biodiversity for food and agriculture, (5) digital inclusion, and (6) crops for nutrition and health. These are all the pressure points where the Alliance can play a catalytic role with interventions that can trigger multiplier effects for positive change.
The Alliance is seeking to recruit a Research Assistant (Plant Breeding) works within PABRA framework to conduct strategic bean improvement research that contributes to and complements breeding research activities of PABRA’s NARS breeders. The RA (Plant Breeding) works closely with the Global breeding lead to interface and backstop National Bean breeding programs to monitor progress on breeding activities, stream lining the breeding strategy as per the stage-gate testing system and contribute to variety development at the Kawanda regional breeding hub.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Ensure seed multiplication and purification of regional nurseries as per field protocols.
- Work backstop seed compilation, seed distribution, trial establishment with the breeding team and regional coordinators,
- Assist in to backstopping data collection and data recovery following defined and standard protocols of PABRA regional trials with participating partner countries
- In liaison with Research associate (Plant breeding) to support, supervise and train technical and field staff in performing tasks to ensure that research is of high quality and objectives are met within the given resources and time frame
- Work with Research associate (plant breeding) to backstop data collection and data recovery following defined and standard protocols of PABRA regional trials with participating partner countries
- Work with breeding lead to collect breeding M & E data from regional breeders and collaborating partners
- Work with the global breeding lead and breeding team to synthesise and write project reports and present work to other scientists
- Work with breeding team to publish scientific findings of projects executed.
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervising Bean Breeder
- MSc degree in Agriculture Crop Science or Plant Breeding and Seed systems
- Experience with field experimentation in busy breeding or agronomy program
- Working knowledge of plant pathology and molecular breeding is an added advantage
- One to two years experience in crop production or has worked with germplasm
- Willingness to learn new breeding tools and techniques
- Good statistical skills (R package especially) or the ability to learn quickly
- Excellent oral and written communication in English, some knowledge in French is an added advantage
- Must have supervisory skills and the ability to deal with diverse stakeholders include scientist, farmers, and the business community
- Must have the ability to perform experiments with minimum supervision.
- Team player and self-driven
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Kawanda, Uganda. The contract will be for a one-year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with a competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
How To Apply for CIAT Uganda Jobs 2021
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobsto get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include reference number Ref:101957-Research Assistant (Plant Breeding Associate) as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s Lastname, first name for ease of sorting.
The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Closing Date: 17th June 2021
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .