Associate Programmes Director
Jobs at:World Vision Uganda (WVU)
Deadline of this Job:
30 May 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Associate Programmes Director
Report to: Programmes Director
Location: Kampala – National Office
Purpose of the position:
The Associate Programmes Director provides supervision and support to the Regional Program Managers and cross cutting programme functional leads to drive integrated programme implementation in field operations to achieve the organization’s strategy objectives efficiently and effectively. These include but not limited to Sponsorship Management; implementation of Sponsorship funded programmes and projects; Private Non Sponsorship and Grants funded projects. The incumbent will ensure that the interventions are implemented within budget, target and timeliness. The cross functional leadership will include disaster management; gender and inclusion; Faith and Development and Advocacy. .
Field Operations Management support
• Provide strong and positive leadership to the Regional Programs Managers and ensure competent and motivated staff are hired and retained in Area Programmes and generally in the field.
• Ensures that programs are implemented using the most appropriate, affordable and culturally accepted approaches.
• Provide oversight to operational risk management,
• Ensure that local level programming contributes to national level advocacy strategies.
• Work closely with the Programmes Director and other Technical team members to ensure full and timely execution of the National Office (NO) Annual Operational Plans (AOPs) and Budgets.
• Ensure proper integration of Advocacy and Faith and Development in programming across all funding types.
• Ensure organization representation at strategic local government functions and donor meetings.
• Ensure that all program interventions are supported and implemented as per LEAP, and other partnership and donor standards.
• Ensure a learning culture, evidence based programming and documentation of best practices and industry standards are supported.
• Ensure effective programming in interfaith contexts.
• Develop and implement strategies for intentional and mutual learning among staff between programs and between other regions (a wider geographical area).
Integrated Technical Program implementation
• Provide leadership in supporting the implementation of technical programs in an integrated manner across World Vision Uganda (WVU) Areas Program locations.
• Ensures Technical Programs and projects are adopted appropriately across the program areas and are speaking to community priorities and context uniqueness.
• In collaboration with the finance unit, ensure planning and budgeting, project funding, expenditures and process are aligned and operating smoothly.
• Ensure the development of WV Uganda’s capacity to focus strategically on initiatives which generate higher quality programming management leading to measurable and sustainable development.
• Ensure all WVU’s programming is based on and in line with WV’s Development Programming Approach
• Field Operations Performance Management
• In collaboration with M&E maintain Area Program quality metrics, dashboards within the acceptable WV partnership set standards through robust performance tracking system.
• Lead performance consequence management for programs that are performing well and those that need improvement.
• In collaboration with Technical Program Managers provide technical support for struggling programs to bring their performance back to track
• Ensures that all program non sponsorship funds (PNS) and other grants implemented within the APs are implemented in time, target and budget.
• Support the alignment of grants to the technical projects in the APs and identify opportunities to leverage the Area Program budget to support grants opportunities and vice versa
• Actively support the scale up of good practices out of implemented grants across the Area Programs while ensuring that learning opportunities are taking place.
Human Resources & Field Operations Performance Management
In collaboration with M&E maintain Area Program quality metrics, dashboards within the acceptable WV partnership set standards through robust performance tracking system.
Lead performance consequence management for programs that are performing well and those that need improvement.
In collaboration with Technical Program Managers provide technical support for struggling programs to bring their performance back to track
In collaboration with People and Culture department, ensure right staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentoring and coaching for development.
Support professional and personal development of Area Program field staff through on the-job coaching, identification of learning and training needs and opportunities.
Ensures that the Regional Programs Managers are driving cluster and AP staff performance in a manner that aligns individual performance to the organizational performance.
Networking and Coordination
• Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with Support Office partners, including visits by donors.
• In coordination with Programmes Director and Support Offices, develop and maintain pro-active relationships with the local governments in WVU Area Program locations.
• In coordination with the Senior Management Team, work closely with regional office in relation to implementation of Partnership initiatives, capacity building of Field office staff and knowledge sharing within the operations.
• Work closely with Partnership Specialist to establish WVU as a partner of choice especially at the implementation level.
• Ensures that Area Programmes (AP) Mid-Year and annual reporting meets the set standards especially the requisite reporting quality.
• Lead the process of generating AP evidence and information to feed in the child wellbeing reports as well as technical program reports. The information includes significant changes stories
• Support M&E to plan and effectively conduct ongoing output and annual monitoring and drives the reflection of the results and applications of the learning across the APs
Accountability and Quality Assurance
• Ensures quality programming, innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting is done as per the WV standards and procedures
• Support timely and effective implementation of various accountability mechanisms such as Peer Review, Operational and Finance Audits, Programme evaluations, Programme Capability Review,
• Comply with partnership standards, policies and protocols
• Ensure internal control systems are implemented to mitigate risks and create accountability environment that will result in good audit ratings
• Provide leadership in management and stewardship of donor and organizational resources at AP level
• Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time which may include but not limited to:
• Participate and contribute in teams,
• Active participation in committees and task forces appointed to including Senior Management Team, National Disaster Management Committee, Risk Committee, National Resource Development Team among others
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
• Postgraduate qualification in International Development, Program Management, Business Administration, Public Health, Economics, Rural Development or related field.
• Certification in Project Cycle Management
• People Management certification like Management Essentials, Bullet Proof Managers and any other relevant body
• Finance for non-Finance Managers certification would be an added advantage
• Training or certification in Portfolio and/or Program Management with accredited institutions.
• Minimum of 12 years’ working experience in a complex Humanitarian and Development Organization with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles. 8 years should have been at a manager level and at least 5 years in Senior Management.
• General understanding of at least four of the following programmatic sectors: Health & Nutrition; Livelihoods & Resilience; Education & Child Protection; WASH; Disaster Risk Reduction; Food Assistance and Emergency Response.
• Thorough understanding of child sponsorship, disaster management and sustainable development.
• The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
• Deep knowledge of WVI working systems, policies and standards will be an advantage
• Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
• Ability to lead a multi-cultural team with an empowering and outcome oriented approach.
• Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
• Proficiency in written and spoken English.
• The person must be results oriented, able to handle public relations, able to satisfy donors and a team player.
• Good interpersonal, organizational and management skills.
• Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
• Computer literate.
• The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 50% of the time and occasionally internationally.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
To Appyl, go to https://careers.wvi.org/jobs/uganda/field-operations/associate-programmes-director/16673