Associate, Corporate Finance
Deadline of this Job:
29 July 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive.
Tugende is tackling the credit gap for small businesses in Africa by enabling informal entrepreneurs to: 1) own income?generating assets, 2) build a verifiable digital credit profile, and 3) earn future growth opportunities through the Tugende digital platform. This platform includes discounts, smartphones, e?commerce opportunities, and on?demand credit lines. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya. Tugende is growing into new geographies and asset product lines including boat engines for fishermen and fridges for retail shops.
About the role
Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth is supported by regular capital raising and ongoing engagement with current investors. The Corporate Finance team leads these efforts and additionally provides financial analysis & research for company and investor needs. The candidate will support the Senior Manager of the department to drive strategic and tactical decision-making processes at Tugende, supported by data, information and reports.
The key functions for this Associate-level position will mainly include;
• Generating and managing regular financial and social impact reports for existing and potential investors.
• Analysis of financial, credit and social impact data to support Tugende’s strategic decision-making.
• Presenting a consistent investor value proposition to Tugende’s investment community.
• Research and analysis of relevant market trends and financial conditions.
• Managing, monitoring and presenting a relevant summary of investor feedback regarding Tugende’s performance to the Senior Management Team.
The Tugende Corporate Finance Associate will be required to perform the following tasks:
• Support the head of department in monitoring and evaluating the organization’s short and long-term sources of funds;
• Assess and monitor project funding requirements/forecasts in line with Tugende’s strategic plans;
• Prepare prospectuses for fundraising (capital and debt);
• Prepare for investor due diligence reviews;
• Coordinate between all parties to ensure adherence to timely fundraising processes.
• Monitoring of markets and macro financial environment;
• Support the development of Tugende’s long term financial planning strategies, modeling and monitoring.
• Execution of strategy to deliver returns to equity investors.
• Undertake financial modeling and analysis relating to financing and investing activities.
• Provide investment tactics and recommendations.
• Forecast Tugende adherence to lender covenants; Support other departments (operations, special projects) with analysis, research and information requested for their projects, reports and presentations
• Create communication materials for presentations to the board and investors.
• Manage investor targeting and tracking systems.
• Produce reports for existing and future lenders, equity investors and board.
• Assist in preparations for all the road shows and investor conferences both domestically and internationally.
• Coordinate onsite and offsite due diligence with investors, including information requests and logistics.
• Provide regular feedback to management and other stakeholders on news relevant to Tugende, their concerns, and investment criteria.
• Work closely with the financial operations and accounting team to share knowledge and build skills across finance functions.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Detailed Skills and Experience requirements
Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
An excellent communicator, passionate educator and strong financial analysis.
Prior financial forecasting and reporting experience.
Financial modeling experience and understanding of financial statements.
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
Highly organized and process-driven
Ability to communicate and engage externally to represent Tugende and generate investor interest.
Ability to partner closely with internal and external stakeholders, providing a dependable presence to move forward complex projects and ideas.
Soft skills that align with Tugende core values:
The preferred candidate must be willing and ready to embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience).
We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership).
We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit).
We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking).
We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable and Supportive).
A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or other relevant field.
At least two (2) years’ experience in the investment banking or corporate finance environment.
Strong financial modeling background and the ability to balance analytical modeling and problem solving with conceptual design, communication and presentation.
Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding with partners/investors. In addition, being Empathetic and personable when dealing with Tugende stakeholders
Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times
Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified applicants click here to apply for this job