Location: Bundibugyo, Uganda
Term: 2 years (including 3-month probationary period)
Start Date: June 01 2021
Latitude Trade Company is a rapidly growing business with the mission of sustainably increasing incomes and reducing risk for small farm businesses in East Africa. Our strategy is to disrupt smallholder farmer value chains through quality improvement, supply chain collaboration and value addition. With offices in Western Uganda, the company partners with smallholder farmers to buy, process and trade ethically sourced specialty agricultural products. Our specialty cocoa beans are used by bean-to-bar chocolate makers throughout the world, and our own craft chocolate is sold in stores domestically. Our aim is to provide specialty buyers with a transparent, sustainable and fair supply chain option. Our team is young, excited and unequivocally devoted to the mission.
The Field Manager position is a full-time in-country role working alongside the Production Manager and Accountant, reporting directly to the General Manager and overseeing a field team.
The responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Directly manage all LTC field staff (buyers, field officers, and inspectors ), including schedules, work assignments, and follow-ups
• Training of farmers and training of trainers on agronomy and organic practices
• Management of buyer performance and fresh cocoa quality
• Planning and managing collection days, including pricing, harvest estimates, transport and weight management
• Manage organic certification for >2,000 farmers, including contracting, surveys, trainings, inspections, office documentation, and annual audit
• Contribute to strategy around establishment of new collection areas for buying fresh and dry cocoa
• Regularly visit LTC farmers, communities and collection areas
• Proposing community development initiatives that will benefit both LTC and its farmers
• Hosting of LTC customers, investors, donors and development partners as necessary
All LTC staff and employees understand that the company is a start-up and thus there are activities which may be required of you but are not detailed in this job description. It is our hope that candidates will be flexible and happy to take on these other responsibilities as needed.
• Fluent spoken and written English (required)
• Willingness and ability to ride a motorbike (required)
• High proficiency in MS Excel and Office (required)
• Knowledge of cocoa agronomy (required)
• Knowledge of Organic, Fair Trade, and UTZ certification programs (required)
• Previous experience overseeing field activities and trainings (required)
• Previous education or experience in agriculture sector (required)
• Previous work experience in private agribusiness
• Previous work experience in procurement and/or logistics
• Excellent communication skills via email, phone, and report writing
• Willingness to live and work in rural area for extended periods
Remuneration & Benefits
Monthly salary will be based on experience. The candidate will additionally be provided with the following benefits:
• Coverage of health care costs
• Airtime and internet allowances
• On-site lunch during work days
• Flexible off-season vacation schedule
• Regular feedback and professional development from your manager
• Opportunities to engage in relevant trainings and continuing education
Interested candidates please forward CV, Cover Letter, through the Brightermonday Portal by clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section .
Please note, consideration will only be given to those candidates who have legitimate, responsive, and recent professional references.