Administrative Assistant – Education Development Center
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
18 May 2022
Within Uganda , Hoima , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
The Administrative Assistant will support general administrative and clerical support including preparing letters and documents, receiving and sorting mail and deliveries, scheduling appointments. The successful candidate will be required to work with cross-functional teams within the organization across the country and reports to the Senior Zonal Manager. This is a full-time position based in Hoima, Uganda. *This is a Zonal position. Applicants based in the district or neighboring districts of the respective ICYD Zonal office should apply.
• Manages petty cash.
• Verifies goods received and prepares Goods Received Notes.
• Prepares monthly updated contact list and organizational chart.
• Maintains record of office supplies utilization by creating and filling accurate stock cards for each item.
• Produces weekly office supplies utilization report.
• Supports general administrative and clerical support including preparing letters and documents, receiving and sorting mail and deliveries, scheduling appointments.
• Photocopies and scans documents as necessary. In particular, assists the Finance Officer in the scanning of all accounting/finance documentation.
• Maintains up to date tracking and filing system of relevant correspondence, incoming and outgoing.
• Receives and attends to, in a professional manner, all office visitors.
• Manages the official notice board and display of official communications and promotional information in an attractive manner.
• Maintains the boardroom calendar.
• Trains and monitors the Office Assistant to act as backup in the management of the stock of office supplies and ensures delivery to staff using the appropriate forms or documents.
• Makes logistical arrangements for in-house meetings (meals, conference room bookings, supplies etc.).
• Manages the performance of the Office Assistant and ensures clean, good ambience of office environment.
• Other tasks and duties relevant to the position as assigned by the Supervisor.
Minimum of a Secondary School Certificate. Certificate/Diploma in HRM, LGM or BA or other diploma or degree in a related field will be preferred.
Skills and Experience:
• At least 1 years’ experience in a similar position;
• Should have professional demeanor;
• Excellent English skills (oral and written);
• Ability to demonstrate highest degree of confidentiality;
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
• Working knowledge of standard office equipment, fax, scanner and photocopier;
• Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point preferred. Computer literacy is required;
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
• Flexibility in working hours and ability to work under pressure.
Fluency in English is required.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.
Job closing date: May 19, 2022
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.