4Agriculture Field Extension workers
Jobs at:Kabarole Research & Resource Center (Krc)
Deadline of this Job:
17 February 2021
Within Uganda , Kabarole , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Kabarole Research and Resource Centre (KRC) is a well-established NGO operating in the Rwenzori Region of Western Uganda. Founded in 1996, with a research mission and a long-term commitment to understanding the measures and drivers of poverty and its solutions. Kabarole Research and Resource Centre (KRC) is implementing a nutrition programme under the family farming Programme inspired by Agrocology with Funding from the Broederlijk Delen(BD). KRC would like to recruit 4 frontline extension workers to implement the family farming programme in Kabarole, Bunyangabu and Kasese as per the job roles below
• Conduct needs assessments and design appropriate engagements to fill the identified gap
• Mobilize and register farmers into production and marketing groups
• Conduct trainings in land use planning and management
• Train farmers in sustainable agricultural practices for increased production and productivity in the specific value chains
• Conduct trainings in soil and water conservation practices (Contour ploughing, terracing, mulching, cover cropping, Agro forestry)
• Conduct trainings in soil feeding technologies and practices (Compost, farm yard, green manure, liquid manure, plant teas)
• Mobilize and get acquaintance with already existing farmer organizations
• Conduct extension and demonstration trainings on crop management practices, pest and disease control using organic and integrated pest pests management
• Conduct trainings in post-harvest handling and food safety management
• Conduct radio programmes on agronomy and animal husbandry
• Facilitate linkages between organized farmers groups and Government extension workers and Government programmes
• Facilitate linkages of farmers to Insurance companies, Agro- input dealers, agricultural finance institutions and markets.
• Conduct trainings in bulking and post-harvest management
• Demonstrate land preparation, planting, management of crops (fertilizer application, pruning, mulching, etc.), proper animal management, post-harvest handling, value addition and marketing.
• Advise farmers on how to harvest water for livestock and crop production by digging ponds and demonstrating simple irrigation technologies which are appropriate to smallholder farmers.
• Conduct exchange visits and study tours for farmers to learn from other farmers who have excelled in certain technologies or enterprises.
• Attend Sub-county and District level activities in agriculture and cross cutting issues organized by the Production Department or other collaborating organizations.
• To ensure proper maintenance of the health Centre gardens and other demos established at health
• Centre, Lead farmers, care group level and any other levels in the community
• Any other role as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor
Qualifications, Skills And Experience
• A Diploma in agriculture or agro ecology from a recognized institution.
• Must have 2- 3 years’ practical experience in agronomy
• Experience in on-farm trainings and Proven on farm demonstrative extension Skills • Good report writing skills and speaking skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing;
• Ability to speak the local languages especially Runyooro Rutooro and/or Runyankole Rukiiga.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and based in the selected districts
• Motorcycle Riding skills are preferable
• Ability to communicate on radio
Job Education Requirements:Diploma
Job Experience Requirements:2- 3 years’
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
"Application should be sent to the Human Resource Manager, Kabarole Research & Resource Center, plot 28, Mugurusi Road, P.O Box 782, Fort-Portal and should include the following documentation:
• A complete and signed application letter
• A curriculum Vitae / Resume
• Copies of academic Transcripts
• Names, contact numbers and addresses of three (3) professional references.
The application MUST reach Kabarole Research & Resource Center (KRC) office by close of business Wednesday 17th of February 2021 (5:00pm) through hand delivery, post office or by email to [email protected]