Nurse / Mid wife
Jobs at:Marie Stopes
Deadline of this Job:
15 April 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location: Marie Stopes Hospital
Reporting to: Clinical Services Lead
Reporting to the Clinical Services Lead, the purpose of this role is to provide nursing and midwifery care services basing on the set standards with an aim of achieving client satisfaction and organizational goals. To help maintain women’s health before pregnancy, during pregnancy, labour, delivery and pueperium. To provide essential care of the newborn and support mothers with effective breastfeeding. To attend to other clients and offer the necessary and appropriate Nursing care. .
• Keeping and maintaining a clean and orderly working environment.
• Providing pre-pregnancy counselling to individuals and couples
• Conducting focused antenatal care and identify high risk cases for referrals.
• Providing safe and clean intrapartum and postpartum care with emphasis to prevention of infection and complications to mother and baby.
• Providing information and support to parents of newborn babies
• Providing advice and support to parents coping with miscarriage, stillbirth, and neonatal death.
• Offering quality post abortion care services
• Writing reports and documenting the performed assessments and care.
• Attending duties as per the duty schedule
• Working together with other hospital staff for the betterment of client/patient care
• Implementing the hospital and nursing protocols and guidelines.
• Educating and counseling clients on sexual and reproductive health issues
• Making wish lists for required hospital sundries, equipment, medicines and other supplies for specific wards/units
• Utilizing hospital sundries equipment, medicines and other supplies efficiently.
• Accounting for the ward/unit sundries, equipment, medicines and other supplies
• Adhering to nurses’ ethical code of conduct.
• Giving a daily verbal and written report to the Clinical Services lead.
• Carrying out any other duty as delegated by the supervisor.
Knowledge and Experience
• Ability to discuss issues of sexuality and reproductive health with male and female clients of all ages.
• Experience and knowledge of FP service delivery at community level (previous outreach experience preferred)
• Experience and knowledge of newborn and infant immunization
• Experience working as part of a highly functioning team.
• Excellent record keeping and time management.
• Attention for detail.
• Ability to monitor labour using a partogram and promptly identify and attend to complications
• Proven skills in problem solving and effective conflict resolution
• Computer literate (ability to effectively enter and maintain client records through an electronic database)
• Demonstrable ability to offer standardized nursing and midwifery care
• Adherence to Nurses’ ethical code of conduct and integrity
• Demonstrate experience in infection control and prevention
• Demonstrable experience in managing health care data and report writing in a busy environment.
• Good data analytical skills including database administration, web-based and mobile-based application programming.
• Ability to work in deadline driven/results orientated atmospheres.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with people from different background
• Ability to follow instructions and procedures
• Excellent oral and writing abilities.
• Good team player.
• Good planner
• Ability to ensure patient safety, privacy and confidentiality
• Demonstrable experience in Emergency preparedness and care
• Good public relations and customer care
Qualifications and Training (essential/ desirable)
• Diploma in Registration in Midwifery and Nursing
• Registered with the Uganda Nurses and Midwifery Council and holds a valid practicing license.
• Nursing and midwifery care experience for 3 years and above
• Able to work on full time basis under minimal supervision
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. We encourage and expect all team members will demonstrate the following behaviours:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
• Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
• Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
• Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
• Focus on Learning.
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
• Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible, and showing respect for each other
Team Member Behaviours
Work as One MSI
• You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight, and decision-making across MSI, enabling us to maximise our ability to influence others.
• You share relevant knowledge, expertise, and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort.
• You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
• You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behaviours you demonstrate.
• You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
Develop and grow
• You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective.
• You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
Deliver excellence, always
• You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role.
• You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders and are a true MSI ambassador.
Leadership (For Leaders only)
• You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction.
• You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline.
• You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team.
• You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for the positions, Please submit your application and CV to [email protected] .
The deadline for applications is, 15th April 2021.