3 Social Science Research Assistants
Jobs at:MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Deadline of this Job:
04 June 2021
Within Uganda , Masaka , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
The Unit is now seeking enthusiastic and experienced individuals to fill the following position:
Social Science Research Assistants (3 positions)
Position Code: SSRA -521
Reports to: Scientist B
The position holder will assist the social science team under the supervision of Scientist B.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Contribute to study design and implementation.
• This includes taking an active part in testing, piloting and undertaking design of research tools and associated activities
• Undertake mobilization for studies
• Obtain informed consent from potential participants
• Undertake data collection with health care providers and health care users in consultation with the Project leader and the COVID 19-HWI team
• Contribute to management of data, including the checking of data, logging and data entry and archiving of scripts (where appropriate)
• Undertake data analysis in consultation with the Project leader and COVID 19-HWI team
• Contribute to the preparation of manuscripts for publication and presentations of study data for conferences and workshops. This includes actively participating in the writing of manuscripts/presentations;
• Participate in the dissemination of results at the local and national level, including to study participants; and
• Work in close collaboration with the COVID 19 –HWI team and other collaborators.
• Ensure Responsible and accountable for monies/resources provided for field activities.
• Manage short-term field workers/interns as assigned by Project leader.
• Bachelor’s degree in Social sciences or related
• Short courses on research methods and GCP training are an added advantage
• At least three years’ experience in an international Organisation or research based organisation
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative data reporting and analysis
• Experience in a clinical research setting, preferably including experience in social and behavioural science research
• Prior interviewing experience
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Good command of both English and Luganda
• Should possess knowledge on design of qualitative research tools, data collection, handling and reporting; and
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document. Deadline for application is 4thJune2021 , 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications through the provided link will be accepted. You will receive a notification in your email if your application and documentation have been successfully received. In the event you are selected as the best candidate for the job, it will be a requirement to present certified copies of academic documents prior to contracting.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda research Unit is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse work force and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.