15 Research Assistants
Jobs at:Catholic Relief Services
Deadline of this Job:
21 December 2021
Within Uganda , Uganda , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Research Assistants (15)
Supervisor: Project Officer-MEAL
Country/Location: Uganda/ Kasese, Bundibugyo, Ntoroko, Bunyangabu, Mukono, Buikwe, Rakai, Bukomansimbi, Luweero, Rubirizi, Ibanda and Mbarara districts
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief
and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations, serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living
in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central, and eastern Uganda. CRS' projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding, and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability. CRS Uganda employs around 180 staff and has its main office in
Kampala, with sub-offices in Moroto, Yumbe, and Kikuube. With our more than 30 partners, we served over 1.2m Ugandans in 2020.
The Vines Project, implemented by CRS Uganda, is a five-year, $13 million Food for Progress project that will make Uganda the world’s next leading supplier of high-quality vanilla. Vines will leverage the expertise of CRS and its partners to enhance the production of safe, pure vanilla and develop sustainable market links with US vanilla companies, directly transforming the lives of 16,200 farmers, 836 supply chain actors and create 15,820 new jobs to reach 32,856 vanilla stakeholders. The Vines strategy reflects best practices in sustainable development and will leave Uganda with a robust vanilla farming community resilient to the boom/bust nature of the market and a cadre of private sector agricultural extensionists to support more sophisticated production, processing, and marketing needs.
CRS seeks to recruit 15 experienced Research Assistants. The Research Assistants’ responsibilities will be on a need-for-work basis and is not going to be a full-time job. The Research Assistants will work under the supervision of Vines Project Officer-MEAL and will be responsible for collection of panel data (pre and post-harvest data) from the Vines project participants (beneficiaries) in rural communities of Kasese, Bundibugyo, Ntoroko, Bunyangabu, Mukono,Buikwe, Rakai, Bukomansimbi, Luweero, Rubirizi, Ibanda and Mbarara districts using CommCare Mobile Application, providing important feedback on key issues of concern as they emerge during survey testing and data collection. Enumerators will participate in a training related to the tool before administering the survey in targeted households.
• Collect quality panel data at household level from the Vines project participants bi-annually.
• Collect vanilla field information especially the acreage, number of vines and other crops in the vanilla fields.
• Ensure that data entered in the CommCare mobile application is accurate and complete.
• Document and share feedback on the project from project participants and other stakeholders.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
Pre-data Enumerators duties:
• Participate in the training workshop for the survey questionnaire to understand the requirements and contents.
• Participate in training workshop and orientation of the use of the CommCare based questionnaire.
• Participate in a questionnaire pretest and trial-run of the data processing and reporting.
Data Enumerators duties:
• Conduct face to face interviews with selected respondents using the survey questionnaire.
• Collect vanilla field information especially the acreage, physical counting of vines and other crops in the vanilla fields.
• Observe and document vanilla production practices and Natural Resources Management (NRM) and climate-risk management competencies.
• Enter responses to the CommCare application using data collection tablets.
• Ensure daily uploads of survey data into the server.
• Report key issues of concern during data collection and hand over to the team lead at end of each day.
• Exercise high level of security measures to avoid data loss and theft of devices.
• Ensure high level data integrity.
Post-Data Collection duties:
• Return all data collection gadgets and materials to survey supervisor.
• Answer any questions from the supervisor regarding the data uploaded.
• Maintain confidentiality of all the information under your access.
• Honesty: Enumerators should be able to show a high level of integrity and will not fabricate responses.
• Ability to Communicate: Confidently expresses self, able to clearly ask questions and help the
respondent understand what is needed from her/him.
• Relationship Building: Able to build trust with people at the rural level and maintain confidentiality.
• Cultural Awareness: Must be aware of and sensitive to the cultural expectations of communities in Karamoja.
• Accuracy: Must be able to interpret and record responses appropriately without distorting the respondent’s meaning.
• Endurance: Must be able to work for full day working hours in the field for several days.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences, Development Studies IT, Business Administration or any other related research studies. Good understanding of research ethics and Data Quality Management
• Previous experience conducting data collection using mobile devices is a must.
• Highly organized individual, capable of handling multiple priorities, meeting deadlines, and managing time effectively.
• Must be available for the entire period.
• Ability to work independently as well as an effective team player.
• Willingness to work long hours to achieve set goals.
• MUST be fluent in the local languages Luganda, Lukhonzo, Runyakole.
• Working English language proficiency.
• Knowledge of CommCare Application is an added advantage but not a requirement.
• Previous experience in agricultural research especially vanilla is an added advantage
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Each staff member working in emergencies is expected to use the following competencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Communicates strategically under pressure.
• Manages stress and complexity.
• Actively promotes safety and security.
• Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to [email protected] by December 21st, 2021 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – RESEARCHASSISTANTS only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V