Job Title: Public Information officer – UN Volunteers Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Job Location: Kampala
UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Profile:
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, commonly known as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) or the United Nations Human Rights Office, is a department of the Secretariat of the United Nations that works to promote and protect human rights that are guaranteed under international law and stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948. The office was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 20 December 1993 in the wake of the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights.
The major role of a public information officer is writing and editing press releases, company brochures, public service announcements, speeches, articles, and social media posts. These materials can report on new product launches or company news, respond to inquiries, or make general announcements.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in reg ul a r ly updating the OHC H R i n Uganda website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and with relevant content and quality photographs in a timely manner;
- Assist in developing coordinated, innovative social media strategies and campaigns involving multiple UN Agencies and key partners.
- Assist in conducting communications and information needs assessments for OHCHR, UN joint programming and initiatives, and make proposals to integrate public information and programme.
- Sup p ort t he developme nt /prod u ction of i n for m atio n and co mmu nicat i ons instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns , including briefing materials and press releases in coord i nation w i th the supervisor.
- Support OHCHR publication activi t ies , such as drafting articles , content management , no r ms for p ublishing , design, maintenance of regular co n tact wi th pr i nters and other s u ppliers t o ensure qua li ty production .
- Assist in promoti n g and dissem i na t ing information and communica t io n mate r ials fo r l aunching initiatives an d p ublica t ions.
Interest and / or experience in human rights , politica l affairs, and communications is required. Experience working with the media is an added advantage . Exper i ence in organising and coord i na t ing public events and/or in drafting commun i cations for press releases , and web presence is desirable . Previous experience as a volunteer and/or expe r ience of engagement with human rights events would be highly regarded .
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Knowledge of human rights issues and ability to identify related problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions.
Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures.
Research and analytical skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of human rights issues.
Ability to identify sources for data collection, analyze information and draft human rights reports.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Develops clear goals that are consistent wi t h agreed stra t egies; identifies priority activities and assignmen t s ; adjusts priorities as required ; allocates appropria t e amount of time and resources fo r comp l eting work ; foresees risks and allows fo r contingencies when plann i ng; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary ; uses time efficiently.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informe
Accountability, Ethics and Values, Planning and Organizing, Working in Teams
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
How To Apply for UN Volunteers Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 13th May 2021
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .