Senior Operations Officer
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
15 June 2021
Within Uganda , Kaabong , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps’ work emphasizes community-led, market-driven interventions through public, private and civic sector partnerships. After more than a decade of operation in Uganda, the Mercy Corps country team has differentiated itself as a forward-thinking, market-driven agency, having implemented or currently implementing nearly 40 programs, valued at over $141 million, changing the lives of over 2.5 million Ugandans and refugees. In Uganda, some of our donors include USAID, SIDA, DFID, WFP, US Department of State; MasterCard Foundation, and ECHO, with over 20 programs and projects currently in operation in 30 districts.
General Position Summary
The Senior Operations Officer will be responsible for the overall Operations management of Kaabong office and Karenga sub office. S/he will make sure that all programs in the field are fully supported timely and accurately. S/he is the key person for all the Kaabong Operations arrangements and coordination.
Essential Job Responsibilities.
Administration and Human Resource.
• Coordinate all Support to the program with Administration arrangements.
• Ensure smooth travel coordination and booking of accommodation
• Ensure all lease agreement are valid, extended on time and MC premises are maintained in good condition
• Build and maintain productive relationships with all staff, stakeholders, vendors, partners, etc. Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
• Develop the capacity of his/her team and assist with continued development of a career path for his/her staff.
• Work closely with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of MC Staff handbook and Administration policy.
• Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps
• Offer support in training and orientation of new staff in those procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of office supplies
• Responsible for managing and maintaining confidentiality and appropriately the filing system including but not limited to the following; Staff/personnel files, Employment & Service contracts, leave database, stock/inventory files, staff meeting minutes.
• Work closely with the respective supervisors and hiring managers in recruitment processes & staff management.
• Actively participate in disciplinary actions, hiring and termination meeting for the Kaabong office and Karenga sub office as necessary, advise staff (national and international) on disciplinary procedures.
• Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to teams on these policies;
• Coordinate and support development of procurement plans with program management and teams. Enforce proper use of procurement thresholds and approval procedures. Enforce adherence to procurement time to award and support in coordinating supplier delivery time. Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
• Support Program and Operational personnel in monthly procurement planning meetings. Obtain quotations and bids from the market for PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats; Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program.
• Ensure required documentation of transactions are completed to MC standards. Ensure proper Maintenance and updating Procurement PR Master list
• Track all outstanding commitments in the area of operations.
• Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC.
• Ensure constant revision of Supplier Database.
• Ensure appropriate segregation of duties in the procurement cycle is practiced and observed at all times.
• Reads and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management procedures. Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy and that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation. Maintain administrative vehicle files for each vehicle.
• Continuous tracking of vehicle log-sheets; responsible for monthly compilation of fuel consumptions and vehicle monthly expense report.
• Coordinate the scheduling vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs. Ensure logistics officer maintains vehicle movement board daily. Coordinate proper and effective use of the vehicles.
• Ensure vehicle key management are up to MC standards.
• Ensure proper Management fuel purchases and tracking including coordination with gas station(s) Ensure cleaning of vehicles and motorcycles is well organized and coordinated.
• Organize regular service schedules for vehicles and maintain service schedule files. Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
• Track vehicle expenses in accordance with the respective procurement policy.
• File Monthly Vehicle Consumables sheet for each vehicle separately.
• Manage drivers’ leave schedules ensuring smooth operation of the fleet.
• Has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures; Ensures that procedures outlined in the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual are implemented and observed at all times.
• Ensure all new Mercy Corps assets in the field office are registered, tagged, issued to custodians, regularly tracked and disposed of.
• Regularly checks the condition/status of all assets in the field office.
• Ensures the electronic database is updated monthly and provide an electronic copy to supervisor; a hard copy is printed, signed and filed in the assets folder
• Ensure warehousing policies and procedures are adhered to at all times Ensure warehouse inventory and documentation corresponds
• Complete Warehouse Checklist once a month to observe and document practices Perform monthly stock-take in conjunction with finance representative
• Serve as the security focal point for the field office, and implement security policies appropriate for the local context
• Regularly update Security Bulletin Board
• Ensure all national and international staff are well-informed of security incidents, and those incidents are acted upon in a timely fashion
• Inform all staff on existing security related policies, including but not limited to emergency strategies and evacuation plans
• Train newly hired staff on Mercy Corps Security Standard Operating
• Procedures Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
• Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to food security programming.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Accountability: Accountable to all Mercy Corps policies and regulations as established by HQ and Mercy Corps Uganda
Reports Directly to: Operations manager-Kotido
Supervisory Responsibility: Logistics officer and Administration officer Kaabong,
Works Directly with: Operations, Administration, Finance, and Program Leaders and Team Members with a strong dotted line to Operations Specialist for Karamoja
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
• The ideal candidate has Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement and Logistics Management, Business Administration, or a closely related field with international NGOs is an asset.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in field operations with strong organizational skills, ability to maintain the Operations filing system, ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel,
• Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with using email. Excellent English oral and written skills, knowledge of Local language is an advantage Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision
The Successful Senior Operations Officer will combine exceptional management skills and experience in building and maintaining relationships. S/he will have an ability to think creatively about operationalizing and improving the Operations function of the field office. S/he will have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail as well as strategic vision are essential. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations. A good sense of humor and the ability to learn from mistakes also goes a long way!
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link to apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/MER1024MERCY/JobBoard/df92509c-10a2-4fc7-9d8c-ddae2a94d9fc/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=67fd1d89-b6ae-443c-ac5e-f4694b719034