Jobs at:United Nations Development Programme ( UNDP )
Deadline of this Job:
25 March 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Title: Programme Assistant - Kampala
In implementing the mandate of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, UHCHR Uganda carries out interventions under five thematic areas: Strengthening the rule of law and accountability for human rights violations; Enhancing and protecting Civic Space and people’s Participation; Integrating human rights in sustainable development; Enhancing equality and countering discrimination; and Increasing implementation of the international human rights mechanisms’ outcomes. UHCHR’s interventions relate to the provision of technical assistance, including legal advice and capacity building, monitoring of human rights issues, and engaging in advocacy, among others. .
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Public Information Officer, the Programme Assistant will undertake the following tasks to achieve the following key results:
Assists in regularly updating the OHCHR in Uganda website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and with relevant content and quality photographs and others visuals.
Assists in developing and implementing coordinated, innovative social media strategies and campaigns involving multiple UN Agencies and key partners.
Assists in the conduct of communications and information needs assessments for OHCHR, UN joint programming and initiatives, and make proposals to effectively integrate public information and programmes.
Supports the development/production of information and communications instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
Supports OHCHR publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure quality production.
Promotes and disseminates information and communication materials for launching initiatives and publications.
Coordination and Programmes Support
Supports coordination of OHCHR’s work to support and link with program staff in the field as well as at the Head Office in Kampala, particularly linked to the involvement and participation of key partners in the planning, and commemoration of international human rights days.
Supports the organization of public information campaigns on UN in Uganda joint activities and popularizing the UHCHR mandate in Uganda.
Supports UHCHR liaison with the UNCG in Uganda to ensure effective coordination of the implementation of the Delivering As One Communication (DAO) Strategy.
Liaises with the Programme staff teams to collate and document evidence to support OHCHR activities.
Assists in monitoring and reporting on implementation of the UNDAF Advocacy and Communications Strategy.
Knowledge and Information Management
Assists in identifying and synthesizing best practices and lessons learned directly linked to OHCHR mandate, partnerships and Outcomes/Results.
Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice including OHCHR global communications repositories and the UN in Uganda Knowledge Management System.
Substantive strengthening of the public information and communications efforts of OHCHR, linked to, particularly the UN Communications Group (UNCG).
Substantive strengthening of coherent ‘Communicating as One’ by all UN Agencies, funds and programmes in Uganda.
Increased visibility of OHCHR and partnership in Uganda.
Increased on-line presence of OHCHR in Uganda.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
• Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
• Education: Secondary Education, Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
• Experience: At least 3 years’ experience in communications or managing public information events and campaigns; especially working with websites, social media particularly Facebook and Twitter, is desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to take high quality resolution photographs for social media, websites and other publications.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
Use the link to apply: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=35974&HRS_J0_PST_SEQ=1&hrs_site_id=2