Associate Information Management Officer – Child Protection
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time position within the Protection Unit in our UNHCR Kampala BO in Uganda. UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Associate Information Management Officer
- Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
- Duration: Until 31 May 2023
- Contract Type: UNOPS
- Closing date: 29 April 2021
- Start date: 1 June 2021
Women and children make up over 83% of the refugee population which has always made GBV and Child Protection to be among the highest and most concerning protection risks in the operation. This situation has been further exacerbated by the outbreak of COVID 19, which saw a significant increase in the number of CP and GBV cases with and average 2 increase of 55% in monthly GBVIMS statistics, the most common of these being intimate partner violence. Despite a significant number of children facing child protection risks, including separation from family members, abuse and neglect in their current care arrangements, or other exposure to harmful traditional practices, UNHCR and partners faced significant challenges in documenting and analysing those trends on child protection given the absence of a harmonized, data and information management system.
Behind this background, UNHCR Uganda has undertaken considerable efforts in rolling out UNHCR’s global data and case management tool, proGres v4. To date, the Uganda operation presents a unique situation being one of the few countries having rolled out proGres v4 in all field, sub, and country offices for UNHCR and implementation as well as operational partners. proGres v4 is also the sole child protection data management tool in the operation and therefore, in absence of CPIMS or other tools, its use for case management as well as monitoring and analysis is a critical priority for the operation.
The Associate Information Management Officer is responsible for assisting in the production and dissemination of information on the population of concern, with a focus on child protection, gender-based violence and other related data and information. S/he is based in the Protection Unit of UNHCR Uganda and will work under the direct supervision of the Child Protection Officer with oversight of the Senior CP/ GBV Officer at the UNHCR Branch Office in Kampala. While the incumbent is based at UNHCR, s/he supports the proGreV4 roll-out and information management needs of both CP and GBV Sub Working Groups at interagency level through providing timely and accurate data on protection risks; provision of training; ensuring data and information management standards are met, quality of data is assured and information on the protection risks are comprehensively monitored and analysed. The incumbent will also closely work with other relevant units such as Registration as well as Information Management Units to ensure all data and information needs are well coordinated, harmonized, and aligned.
S/he will be responsible to develop child protection and GBV dashboards and other analytical reports on CP/ GBV from available data management systems including proGres v4, CP/GBV IMS, ActivityInfo and other relevant tools. S/he further ensures the operationalization of proGres v4 CP and GBV modules and the development of data standards at national and field operations. The incumbent will undertake capacity development initiatives to UNHCR and other members of the CP and GBVSWGs on CP GBV modules of v4 as well as on relevant data and information management aspects with an overall aim to improve child protection and GBV data and analysis. For all involved actors, the incumbent will guide existing agency staff as well as train other staff on agency and sector specific information and dashboards. The incumbent is also supporting the monitoring of performance of partners in using of proGres v4 and other data management systems and presenting critical findings at the interagency case management and information management Task Force in Kampala.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assist in the implementation and operationalization of the country/operation-specific CP/ GBV Information Management strategy.
• Manage the use, maintenance and technical support to the CP/ GBV/LPP modules of ProGres v4 including planning and oversight of data collection, input and verification; produce standard and ad hoc reports, and ensure ProGres-related data entry activities are reflected in the respective SOPs.
• Respond to report requests from UNHCR staff, local governments, partners, donors and Headquarters with close collaboration with the CP/ GBV Officers.
• Operationalize country-specific common data standards and promote them with partners.
• Compile, aggregate and analyse interagency CP/ GBV data and information elements required to produce standardized information products.
• Support the operation in the analysis of processed CP/GBV and other protection related data and information and perform data quality and consistency control on v4 at interagency level.
• Provide training of staff as well as staff members of implementing and operation partners in relevant aspects of data management and provide other support to endusers of database systems.
• Guide and train CP/GBV and other protection actors on the protection of sensitive data within proGres v4.
• Facilitate the analysis of CP/GBV and other protection data and information
• Share interagency data from v4 and develop information management tools for UNHCR as well as all members of the respective working groups.
• Perform other duties as required
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• University degree in information technology, statistics. demography, social sciences or any related area is required.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience with a relevant degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1-year relevant experience with Doctorate degree is required.
• Work experience with UNHCR Registration and Case Management Tool proGres v4 is required.
• Experience with relevant software such as proGres v4, GBVIMS, CPIMS, SPSS, Activity Info, etc is required.
• Experience in data visualization is a requirement is required.
• Good communication skills are required.
• Advanced Excel skills (e.g. pivot tables, functions, etc.) is required.
• Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures is required.
• Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies is required.
• Fluency in English is required.
• Previous work experience in the field of protection data management, specifically on CP GBV information management systems is desirable.
• Previous experience in data collection with partners is desirable.
• Experience in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making is desirable.
• Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community is desirable.
• Experience in web design and software development is desirable.
• Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is desirable.
• Microsoft SQL Server (2005 or later) Certification is desirable.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Access is desirable.
• Proven skills in analysing statistical information and data is desirable.
• Experience on GBV and Child Protection data management is desirable.
• Successful participation in Protection Learning Programme, including GBV and Child Protection is desirable.
• Successful participation in the Operational Data Management Learning Programme is desirable.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in BO Kampala, UNHCR Uganda.
The category of this position is not open to Ugandan nationals.