Job Title: Project Manager – Renewable Energy (National Position)
Reporting to: Programme Manager-West Nile
ZOA is looking for a Project Manager – Renewable Energy for a green project being implemented in West Nile.
Purpose of the position
The Project Manager- Renewable Energy , with support from the Programme Manager (PGM), is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing the project activities. The PM will work closely alongside other ZOA livelihoods project teams, to ensure coordinated and integrated support to project participants.
The current renewable energy project in West Nile runs until June 2023 in Madi Okollo and Terego districts, focusing on support to households and supply chain actors in biomass and solar renewable energy (under two complementary donor funding agreements).
The Project Manager is responsible for day to day implementation of the project, with the project team, including:
- Promote uptake of renewable energy solutions among refugee and host communities
- Work with the private sector and value chain actors of renewable energy solutions and products (e.g. solar companies, charcoal traders, renewable energy associations etc) to ensure energy products and solutions are affordable and available.
- Establish collaborations with development partners engaged in promotion of renewable energy (GIZ, Endev, UNHCR etc), OPM and District Local Governments in West Nile region.
- Coordinate activities (awareness) to scale up the uptake of sustainable and efficient energy products and solutions through market and community education
- Facilitate training on building and use of renewable energy products and solution in households and businesses and other value chain actors and conduct orientation/training on their use and repair
- Plan and support end-customer and other value chain actor’s financing schemes by creating relationship with formal financial actors and other mobile companies.
- Work with SPOs and village agents to ensure dissemination renewable energies among saving
- Strengthen the value chain of renewable energy supply/value chain to ensure smooth flow from sources to final destinations
Tasks, responsibilities, results
- Implements project activities in relation to the project proposal to achieve optimal project outputs and outcomes in line with ZOA/donor procedures and targets;
- Supports project field team members and possible community volunteers in day to day implementation;
- Strengthens a culture of innovation among the field staff;
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor in line with the project.
- Provide timely and accurate written monthly reports;
- Identify, document lessons learned and best practices;
- Prepare and submit well written success stories;
- Contribute to annual reports and implementation plans;
- Organize efficient and effective monitoring and data recording systems of activities in the project;
- Provide verbal and written reports to ZOA management when required;
- Ensure timely data collection and entering in to the database for easy retrieval.
Representation and coordination
- Actively participate in the required and relevant technical working groups;
- Participate in relevantcoordination meetings concerning the project.
Human Resource Management
- Ensure the staff under supervision have weekly and monthly targets;
- Conduct weekly or monthly meeting to achieve targets;
- Conduct staff appraisal/evaluation as per ZOA’s policy;
- Provide technical support through coaching and mentorship of staff for quality implementation of project activities.
Procurement and finance
- Initiate timely purchase requisition of project goods/services;
- Ensure expenses are in line with approved budget;
- Provide appropriate codes for expenses.
Characteristics of the role
The PM Renewable Energy will be based at ZOA’s West Nile office in Arua, with regular field visits to the project locations.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during reporting times.
The role is recruited in ZOA’s Management scale 1, which starts at UGX 3,000,000/month gross.
- Project Officers and other staff as assigned
- Volunteers on the project
Knowledge & Experience:
- Degree in Agricultural Sciences (Crop production, Forestry), Environmental Science, Agribusiness, Agricultural Education, and related fields; Specialized training as TOT in ERI, PIP and FFS methodology is a plus.
- At least 5 years successful experience in a similar position implementing related projects;
- Working experience in a humanitarian setting is an added advantage;
- Experience with projects funded by institutional donors;
- Understanding of the local context, culture, and languages;
- Proven experience in implementing clean/renewable energy projects.
- Excellent spoken and written command of English;
- Good communication, writing and facilitation skills;
- Provides regular feedback, acknowledges success and the need for improvement with project team;
- Good computer skills: Ms Excel and Ms Word;
- Ability to drive a motorcycle with valid driving/riding license.
- High level of personal integrity
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
- Able to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment;
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values
CV’s of no more than 2 pages in length and a Cover Letter of 1 page are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered.