Head Financial Reporting Risk Governance & Controls
Jobs at:Absa Group Limited
Deadline of this Job:
03 September 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, August 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
Responsible for an appropriate and sound control environment to enable reconciliation of all financial accounts in the bank
Accountability: Reconciliation of financial accounts
• Accountable for ensuring that the CVAP principles are adhered to across all financial accounts
• Monitor the overall control environment of the account balances, including an understanding around the design of front to back controls.
• Accountable for ensuring that all account substantiations have been completed in accordance with the Policy by the reconciler and reviewers.
• Develop, document and implement Account Ownership and Reconciliation procedures, where appropriate, for accounts as set out by the Policy.
• Accountable for ensuring that allocated account reconciler and reviewers have the appropriate knowledge to execute their responsibilities
• Accountable for ensuring that all accounts have been reconciled / substantiated by the deadlines set for their Business Area
• Support the reconciler and reviewer in issue resolution and reviewing whether provisions are required.
• Accountable for ensuring that all control issues have been highlighted and communicated to the Financial Controller/Finance Director
• Accountable for ensuring that the reconciliation process has been completed within the Group timetable.
• Facilitate and prepare the monthly Balance sheet review meeting ensuring all arising action items are followed up and resolved.
• Submission of the monthly Items at Risk and any emerging risks in Finance to the Risk Control Forum
• Facilitate the appropriate classification of Balances not reconciled and Items at risk across the bank’s balance sheet while ensuring they have been fully provided for.
• Facilitate the accurate reporting and confirmation of fixed assets.
• Facilitate the accurate reporting and confirmation of Legal, Leave and Sundry operational provisions, and provide a secondary review of Finance accruals and reconciliations.
Accountability: Stakeholder Management
• Ensure effective and excellent communication and working relationships with colleagues in the department and the bank in general
• Engage senior managers and other staff in the bank to facilitate and escalate outstanding reconciliation issues.
• Manage queries from external stakeholders that relate to account reconciliations, such as external auditors and the regulators
Accountability: Risk Management control and Compliance
• Understand the appropriate policies & standards applicable to role.
• Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) which are faced in the role thereby contributing to the adherence to the Group Risk and Control Framework.
• Ensure that practices and controls required by policies are communicated to all relevant colleagues
• Ensure that independent oversight, on a proactive basis takes place of the risk performance (including related control effectiveness) principal risks.
• Facilitate the regular risk assessment of the financial reporting risk in liaison with the Financial Controller.
• Maintaining procedures to monitor compliance with policies and any controls required by them
• Approve changes to the Supplier master list & confirmation of invoices.
• Facilitate elements of snap checks to check proper reconciliation across the business.
Accountability: Team Leadership/Management
• Provide leadership, line management & coaching to both the finance team and wider areas of the bank
• Support the Financial reporting teams when the need arises.
• Train and support to other areas of the bank to ensure they have sufficient knowledge regarding account ownership and reconciliation
• Proactive engage members of the bank’s senior leadership team committed to achieving success and providing support for colleagues.
Pursue your own personal development to increase job effectiveness
• Bachelor Honours Degree: Accounting (Required)
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Use the link below to apply.