Environment and Energy Assistant
Deadline of this Job:
27 May 2021
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
DanChurchAid (DCA) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment and Energy Assistant to provide maternity cover in Arua, West Nile, Uganda.
Working under the responsibility of the Environment and Energy Officer, the Environment and Energy Assistant will assist in the successful implementation of environment and Energy interventions, including community mobilization, beneficiary registration and verification, and monitoring of and support to field activities. The Assistant will also support the quality and timely implementation of the activities in compliance with DCA standards and budgets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure the quality of project outputs through being on-site in the communities as per the work plan, monitoring project activities and supporting and pushing to achieve results as necessary.
• Ensure that the beneficiary communities are participating as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
• Conducting environmental awareness campaigns.
• Supervising construction and distribution of energy saving stoves at household and institutional levels.
• Responsible for the establishment of woodlots in area of operation and maintaining the existing woodlots.
• Supervising and monitoring the central tree nursery site operations and ensure quality seedlings are raised.
• Mentor and train community environment workers and VHTs in environmental related issues.
• Work closely with District Local Government, Refugee Welfare Council, Local Environment committees, School ECO Clubs, Local Leaders and OPM in implementation of all planned activities.
• Providing technical support and guidance to Tree Nursery workers.
• When in the field, take initiative and corrective action to address problems and issues arising from dialogue with communities and beneficiaries.
• Working together with the MEAL Assistant, help to gather data using the field monitoring tools.
• Collect lessons learned, best practices, case studies and support knowledge management.
• Show initiative. Put beneficiaries and host communities first. Be a team player. Make suggestions for improvement to project implementation. Work with communities in a way that shows them dignity and respect. Listen to their concerns with an open heart. Prepare timely activity, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports. Contribute to project planning, development of proposals and lessons learned processes. Prepare and submit weekly action plan to the supervisor.
• Participate in assessments, surveys, and other monitoring and evaluation and project reporting needs.
• Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points.
• In collaboration with community representatives, undertake detailed situational analysis and propose appropriate project implementation approaches.
• Assist in participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities.
• Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results.
• Represent DCA in zonal sector coordination and inter-agency meetings.
Qualifications & requirements:
• A Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Management, Environmental science, Natural Resources Management or Forestry from recognized Institution.
• Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in implementing environmental conservation related activities.
• Experience in using mobile technologies, including MMT.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to write good reports and facilitate trainings.
• Previous experience with other local and international NGOs.
• Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
• Ability to work in the field and should hold a Valid Riding license.
• Knowledge of local languages.
DCA’s Uganda Programme
DCA has supported development and humanitarian programs in Uganda since 1979, working in partnership with local partners. DCA is a member of the ACT Alliance. Our key competencies in Uganda are livelihoods and food security, humanitarian response and civil society. For more information please visit https://www.danchurchaid.org/where-we-work/uganda
Contract length is 4 months (Maternity cover)
Start date: As soon as possible
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter via the application link provided.
Deadline for applying is 27th May 2021 .
DCA offers a salary package (salary, insurance, and pension) in accordance to experience and DCA Uganda HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation.
While we appreciate your interest to work with DCA, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.