Head of Technology
Deadline of this Job:
04 June 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, May 31, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
To develop the IT strategy and coordinate end to end execution of all prioritised and approved strategic change initiatives. Responsible for ensuring that the correct IT systems are developed (to build the bank), maintained (to run the bank) and conform to the Group Technology strategy.
• Accountability: Technology Delivery Management
• Review and understand Absa Bank Uganda’s strategy and ensure that Technology output is aligned to the elements within.
• Assess the future technology needs for internal clients (by reviewing their MTP, strategy documents and regular interaction) and identify/define additional country initiatives in support of the overall business goals.
• Align business and technology strategy for the country to drive the implementation of requirements stipulated in the strategy and business needs through facilitating collaborative sessions between business and technology.
• Action and deliver country technology architecture in alignment with enterprise architecture and standards
• Oversee the execution of all Technology projects, programmes and initiatives managed by the business and ensure that all key milestones are reported and risk rated and that outstanding issues or target dates exceeded are appropriately dealt with and escalated to project sponsors only when required.
• Monitor and prioritise the demand pipeline received from country into Africa Technology (AT): balancing the change requirements from business with stability and requirements from AT
• Plan the resolution of technology issues through coordination with the Regional Heads of Technology, Regional teams and in-country stakeholders and investigate relevant systems, processes and procedure improvements
• Manage key Technology projects to drive business progress and performance.
• Ensure high standards of Technology services are delivered by managing and monitoring the Technology Service Level Agreement (SLA), interact with Sourcing to acquire quality contracts with third party vendors to support design and development of products to delivery high level of service
Accountability: Business and Cost Management
• Agree and manage service offerings and Service Level Agreements in conjunction with internal customers (agree annually and measure on a monthly basis).
• Coordinate the efforts of the different teams under management to ensure minimal duplication of efforts, maximum efficiency and to maximise value for money.
• Contribute to the development of strategy by providing a view on potential improvements for products or services and an assessment of the existing situation and anticipated changes in the external environment.
• Monitor departmental budgets including signing off of invoices and quotes within mandate. Escalate out of budget items to the COO for approval.
• Monitor, manage and record country technology change budget spend within budget.
• Secure sign off on capital and operational expenditure in line with the Expense Approval Limits authorization matrix.
• Investigate effectiveness of processes and systems in use and make alterations where required while ensuring adherence to governance requirements.
• Monitor benchmark productivity of country team and create measures to improve productivity.
• Plan the Technology resource requirements for the country (including people, Capex, Opex, systems and Strategic Investment), negotiate and secure its allocation to the business unit and ensure delivery based on the promised business results.
• Translate business strategy into meaningful operational targets and strategic focus areas for the business unit under management. Ensure that the focus areas are disseminated to all levels in the business unit.
• Accountability: System and Process Management
• Manage end-to-end ownership, to ensure that all technology requirements are met for day-to-day systems use, performance and maintenance, enhancements and change projects with adequate service level agreements in place for Country and the Support teams.
• Ensure that the team produces quality documents required for systems enhancements including Business Requirement Definition (BRD), Business System Specification inputs, User Acceptance Test plans ad reports and all other change governance documentation required.
• Ensure that all policies, procedures, standards and governance for the country are adequately documented and published according to Technology standards by assigning responsibility within the team and having coaching sessions with team members to help them understand requirements.
• Ensure services escalation framework is developed and maintained for all Technology services across Country.
Accountability: Leadership and People Management
• Embed the values and behaviors that reinforce the achievement of the Technology team objectives and Bank’s strategy.
• Maintain a succession plan for the key roles in the Technology team in line with the Talent Management process.
• Determine the learning needs (including future skills) for the Technology team working in collaboration with the COO and LLT Head; and oversee continuous development and mentoring for the team.
• Approve leave requests for direct reports and ensure they manage their leave in line with the Bank’s policy.
• Drive the employee engagement of the Technology team by analyzing employee engagement survey results, drawing up appropriate plans and following through on execution.
• Develop a high performing team by embedding formal performance development and by coaching for the team to ensure they conduct the process effectively.
• Ensure that all poor performance in the Technology team is addressed effectively in line with the Bank’s Performance Accelerator Program.
• Review the workforce and recruitment plan for the Technology team and allocate resources where required working in collaboration with the COO.
• Accountability: Risk, Governance and Regulatory
• Conduct a thorough risk assessment for all new projects and system change requests to determine the interdependencies between projects and the impact proposed changes may have on seemingly unrelated processes and systems. Review recommendations and determine whether the risk and mitigation is adequate or the change should be altered or declined.
• Take full accountability for the resolution of issues raised in Management Assurance and other Audit reviews and ensure that a culture of zero tolerance for audit failures is embedded in the department.
• Action and drive a culture of proactive compliance in the function.
• Conduct root-cause analysis, design and implement mitigation plans to ensure business unit is prepared for future disruption in production.
• Ensure compliance of all programmes, projects and initiatives in the country with programme governance standards (policies, procedures, methods, templates, reporting standards, version control etc.). Ensure regular communication of governance requirements with members of the Projects & Change team.
• Ensure solutions are delivered and implemented according to original design, allowing for tactical changes according to longer term strategic plans that comply with Absa Bank Uganda policies
• Act as key contributor for the area’s Risk Management Control Framework.
• Review audit scopes issues/findings logs defined by managers in the team, Assurance teams, or Management
• Conduct Assurance prior to audits/conformance reviews commencing to ensure adequate attention given to closure within the agreed timelines.
• Approve required compliance attestations and ensure that impacted team members complete their attestations.
• Review and approve Control Self Assessments (CSA) and Critical Process Assessment (CPA’s) prepared in the function. Complete attestations to testify to the adequacy of controls on request.
• Review the Business Continuity Management (BCM) plan prepared for all processes for adequacy. Ensure required tests of the plan are executed and that all test failures are addressed.
• Oversee the management of Key Technology Risk framework. Actively work to minimise the amount of economic capital that has to be set aside for operational risk.
• Action, drive and implement IT Disaster Recovery (DR) for all aspects to ensure ongoing production and quick turnaround times in cases where there is system unavailability.
Master's Degree: Information Technology
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Apply here https://absa.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/ABSAcareersite/job/Kampala/Head-of-Technology_R-15918063