Job Title: – SNV Uganda Jobs 2022 4 Project Field Officers
Organization: SNV Uganda
Job Location: Kamwenge, Kabale, Rukungiri, and Bushenyi, Uganda
SNV Uganda Profile:
SNV is an international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has annual revenues of over €120 million, and 1300 staff working in 25 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
About the Project
SNV Netherlands development organization and the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands (EKN) signed a grant in Dec 2021 to implement the Integrated smallholder Dairy programme (ISDAP) in Tooro, Kigezi and Ankole for 3 years, starting in January 2022. ISDAP is a separate program under the management of the TIDE-2 project. The aim of ISDAP is to improve the livelihood of the smallholder farmers (with land holdings below 6 acre) by improving the wellbeing and productivity of the dairy cattle kept at the farm through improved forage production, optimizing animal nutrition by utilisation of by-products and wastes of the other crops grown at the farm. ISDAP will also provide support in improved raw milk quality and marketing as well as Strengthening the existing cooperatives and SACCO’s.
SNV Uganda wishes to engage the services of a talented Field Officers for its new Smallholder Dairy Development Component, based in multiple locations (Kamwenge, Kabale, Rukungiri, and Bushenyi). To develop and support TIDE’s Smallholder Component, SNV requires the Project Field Officers to have a strong background in smallholder agriculture development and Farmer Field Schools.
Roles and Responsibilities:
A. Support knowledge dissemination through Integrated Smallholder training farms (ISTFs) extension model by:
- Follow up and provide technical backstop to ISTFs trainees as per the ISTFs extension approach based on record on progress made and identified challenges.
- Support in recruitment of cooperative members to enrol into ISTFs training centres; and mobilisation community members to learn from Master trainers/Community facilitators in the community
- Liaise with the ISTFs to transform their farms into centres of excellence where neighbouring farmers can go to learn new dairy production technology in your zones of operation.
- Provide input into strategic and operation plans for cooperative societies, specifically in dairy production & productivity.
B. Support establishment of and manage demonstration plots for learning purposes
- Support the technical advisor Identify knowledge gaps in the community and appropriate demonstrations to aid community learning and adaptation of recommended practices and technologies
- Mobilise communities adjacent to the demonstration sites and organise training sessions on demonstrated practices and technologies based on
- Support data collection from the demonstration sites to scientifically assess and document added value of using demonstration plots as a vehicle to disseminate extension knowledge
C. Project monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Closely keep an eye on the entire activities and ensure the activities are on the right track.
- Support data collection on project indicators and share these with M&E unit
- Draft and share with the technical advisor a highlight on progress on project activities by way of drafting and timely submitting monthly activity highlights and plans
- Support ISDAP surveys and studies as requested by the advisor and/or the M&E unit head.
- Identify success for documentation and support documentation of successes and lessons learnt during implementation of the project
Minimum Qualifications for SNV Uganda Jobs 2022:
- Minimum, a Diploma in dairy technology, agribusiness, Food science, animal husbandry, Crop husbandry, Agriculture extension or related field.
- Field experience and at least three years of working with dairy value chain development actors in SW Uganda with proven skills in Cooperatives and milk bulking business.
- Knowledge and skills in all aspects of dairy cow management and farming as well as in forage production and conservation
- Knowledge in basic extension approaches and systems is key
- Knowledge of the project area and specific experience on how farmer institutions work and group dynamics
- Ability to mobilize, organize, plan and execute assignment in multi stakeholder environment; and execute your duties within set timelines
- Ability to work alone, with minimum supervision and reside within the community
- Knowledge and experience in milk (bulking) business, clean milk production and value addition
- Knowledge and ability to work in a team setting.
- Motorcycle riding skills backed by a riding licence
- ·Excellent community facilitation and communication skills
- Must be keen on detail and able to work in multicultural setting
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Computer use (word, excel, PowerPoint.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good computer and software applications skills.
- Work experience in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- Highly motivated to maintain regular dialogue with SNV’s partner organizations.
- Skills in teamwork, facilitation, and training. Knowledge of NGO operations.
- Experience with the dairy sector, knowledge of Western Uganda and human nutrition are all strong additional advantages.
- Sensitive and committed to gender equity and diversity.
Terms of Appointment.
This is a full-time position based in SNV Mbarara office, Uganda which 2/3 of the time traveling to the project operational districts in Kigezi and Greater Ankole region.
SNV is offering a competitive national contract, salary, and secondary benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a 2.5year contract with possible extension depending on funding and performance.
The successful candidate will:
- Adhere to SNV values and code of conduct
- Participate in all team activities
- Report directly to the Project Manager TIDE
- Work jointly with all relevant SNV staff.
How To Apply for SNV Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .