Senior Legal Officer
Jobs at:National Environment Management Authority
Deadline of this Job:
17 August 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, August 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Senior Legal Officer
Purpose of the Job
Support the legal functions and needs of the Authority.
Key duties and responsibilities
Support the Legal and Corporate Affairs Manager to;
• draft court papers, conduct court proceedings and attend court;
• provide legal advice to other departments;
• prepare, draft and review contracts and other legal documents;
• peruse documents and interpret them in line with the National Environment Act No. 5 of 2019 and other related legislation;
• support training and advise stakeholders in environmental laws and related matters;
• support coordination and harmonization of environmental laws;
• assist in the development of ordinances and Bye-laws;
• support local governments in the enforcement of the environmental laws;
• advise on compliance and enforcement of environmental laws;
• advise and participate in the negotiation, drafting and implementation of treaties, agreements and conventions;
• support the research on environmental laws and regulations;
• perform any other duties assigned.
• Bachelor of Laws;
• Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
• Master of Laws shall be an added advantage.
• Advocate of the Courts of Judicature
• Possession of a valid practicing certificate (except for Government Lawyers);
Should have at least a minimum of five (5) years working experience in active Legal Practice, two (2) of which should have involved in criminal prosecution in environmental laws.
Successful candidate may in the interest of NEMA be required to serve in any part of Uganda.
Key competences and skills
• Capacity to work with minimum supervision;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• High ethics, integrity and confidentiality;
• Good reporting skills.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Potential candidates should fill an online form available on URL http://recruitment.nema.go.ug attaching requisite academic transcripts and certificates.
The form should be submitted online not later than August 17, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Applicants who will not have heard from us by September 30, 2022 should consider their applications unsucceful.