Private Sector Development Expert , SUPREME Project
Jobs at:SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
Deadline of this Job:
18 June 2021
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Date Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Private Sector Development Expert , SUPREME Project
Contract type: National employment contract
Stichting SNV Netherlands Development Organisation (a foundation established under Dutch law), registered at Parkstraat 83, 2514 JG The Hague, The Netherlands, [represented by SNV in Uganda] hereinafter referred to as “SNV” is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org .
SUPREME Project Background
SNV is part of a consortium of 4 development organisations implementing the European Union funded Project Security, Protection and Economic Empowerment Program (SUPREME) in West Nile 4 districts of Uganda. The overall goal is to improve economic well-being for 25,000 refugees and host community members at a ratio of 50% by each category. The refugees and host community will be targeted through community structures known as Savings and Development Clusters (SDCs)- being community groups formed and carrying activities including savings and lending, farming, and other group enterprises.
Project geographical coverage is 4 districts in West Nile and 12 sub counties i.e. Terego, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo.
Specific Outcome: increased access to decent employment and economic opportunities for refugees and host communities.
Project Outputs: The project has 3 output areas:
Output 1: Financial inclusion and social cohesion among Savings and Development Clusters (SDCs) increased.
Output 2: Sustainable agricultural value chains and non-agricultural enterprises developed.
Output 3: Young women and men (aged 18-30 years) from SDC member households linked to private sector employment
SNV leads implementation of output 3 of the SUPREME project as well as implements activities for creating efficient input and output markets for SDCs through private sector engagement approach.
The project is in entering its second year of implementation and to deliver successfully on these outputs SNV is looking for a Private Sector Development Expert to strategically guide and work with the rest of the implementation team to engage, stimulate, involve and develop private sector actors as integral vehicle for delivering on project results.
Technical and Programme tasks:
• Act as technical expert in developing innovative strategy and detail approach and tools for identification, engagement, partnering with private sector actors in related SNV SUPREME output activities (Input and out market linkages, Youth Skilling, and employment)
• Build the capacity of Advisors, project officers and other consortium member on SUPREME private sector engagement strategy and related tools.
• Technically oversee the quality of SUPREME project private sector engagement efforts according to the work plan
• Contribute to internal and external knowledge development, ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice
• Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
• Documentation and sharing learnings on SUPREME private sector engagement efforts with relevant stakeholders
• Support efforts to create and enable an effective, coherent, and comprehensive framework for the Private sector development activities of SUPREME, within the framework of refugee emergency response and development nexus.
Project and process development
• Identify and propose technical process improvements to the project team.
• Acts on improvement areas within the local internal organisation and processes and gives feedback.
• Undertake monitoring visits to relevant private sector partners and service providers and report on project progress and constraints. Ensure lessons learned are applied in daily practice.
• Oversee the process of identification, engagement of private sector actors.
• Develop and maintain database of private sector engagement and development efforts
• Contribute to coherent development and update of the work plans, according to progresses of implementation.
• Take lead in collaborating with other SNV projects and program on the theme of private sector development.
• Serve as interlocutor between the SUPREME and Private sector stakeholders at national level and relevant government departments.
• Responsible for quality delivery of milestone results by the private sector actors receiving challenge grants for inclusive business projects.
• Steer (functionally) colleagues and coaches associated partners/ external stakeholders on quality within the SUPREME Project.
• Support to business development process of SNV through the work of SURPEME and through other networks development
• Work to identify Private sector stakeholders to leverage the opportunities, resources and networks for building a vibrant private sector ecosystem for the benefit of delivering SUPREME project outputs and outcomes.
• Identify and analyse market opportunities and threats related to SUPREME project and SNV in general and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
• Actively participate in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the SNV organisation to the client. Analyse, understand, and develop (local) networks with relevant stakeholders.
• Contribute to Private sector development technical content on reporting to the donor
• Master’s degree in economics, Business Administration, Development or another relevant field.
• Additional specialised professional qualifications or training in Private sector development or Private sector and youth employment is a plus.
• Minimum 6 years progressive experience at Senior level role in Private Sector Development, Private sector partnership or Inclusive business in Agriculture sector, or Livelihood.
• Minimum of 10 years overall working experience in Humanitarian or development NGO, 5 of which should have been at Mid to Senior level.
• Track record of successful leadership of a thematic area and delivering results.
• Strong knowledge of business climate, ecosystem, leveraging networks, resources, and approaches.
• Experience with implementing project with refuges is an advantage.
• Experience working in a consortium.
• Willingness to spend work in West Nile, while based in Arua city.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link to apply: https://www.smartrecruiters.com/SNV/743999752921860-private-sector-development-expert-supreme-project