Job Title: 15 Research Assistants – CRS Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Duty Station: Mukono, Mbarara, Kasese, Bundibugyo, Ntoroko, Bunyangabu, Buikwe, Rakai, Bukomansimbi, Luweero, Rubirizi and Ibanda, Uganda
Reports to: Project Officer – MEAL
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Profile
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations, serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS seeks to recruit 15 experienced Research Assistants. The Research Assistants’ responsibilities will be on a need-for-work basis and is not going to be a full-time job. The Research Assistants will work under the supervision of Vines Project Officer-MEAL and will be responsible for collection of panel data (pre and post-harvest data) from the Vines project participants (beneficiaries) in rural communities of Kasese, Bundibugyo, Ntoroko, Bunyangabu, Mukono, Buikwe, Rakai, Bukomansimbi, Luweero, Rubirizi, Ibanda and Mbarara districts using CommCare Mobile Application, providing important feedback on key issues of concern as they emerge during survey testing and data collection. Enumerators will participate in a training related to the tool before administering the survey in targeted households.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Collect quality panel data at household level from the Vines project participants bi-annually.
- Collect vanilla field information especially the acreage, number of vines and other crops in the vanilla fields.
- Ensure that data entered in the CommCare mobile application is accurate and complete.
- Document and share feedback on the project from project participants and other stakeholders.
Pre-data Enumerators duties:
- Participate in the training workshop for the survey questionnaire to understand the requirements and contents.
- Participate in training workshop and orientation of the use of the CommCare based questionnaire.
- Participate in a questionnaire pretest and trial-run of the data processing and reporting.
Data Enumerators duties:
- Conduct face to face interviews with selected respondents using the survey questionnaire.
- Collect vanilla field information especially the acreage, physical counting of vines and other crops in the vanilla fields.
- Observe and document vanilla production practices and Natural Resources Management (NRM) and climate-risk management competencies.
- Enter responses to the CommCare application using data collection tablets.
- Ensure daily uploads of survey data into the server.
- Report key issues of concern during data collection and hand over to the team lead at end of each day.
- Exercise high level of security measures to avoid data loss and theft of devices.
- Ensure high level data integrity.
Post-Data Collection duties:
- Return all data collection gadgets and materials to survey supervisor.
- Answer any questions from the supervisor regarding the data uploaded.
- Maintain confidentiality of all the information under your access.
Minimum Qualifications for CRS Uganda Jobs 2021
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences, Development Studies IT, Business Administration or any other related research studies.
- Good understanding of research ethics and Data Quality Management
- Previous experience conducting data collection using mobile devices is a must.
- Highly organized individual, capable of handling multiple priorities, meeting deadlines, and managing time effectively.
- Must be available for the entire period.
- Ability to work independently as well as an effective team player.
- Willingness to work long hours to achieve set goals.
- MUST be fluent in the local languages Luganda, Lukhonzo, Runyakole.
- Working English language proficiency.
- Knowledge of CommCare Application is an added advantage but not a requirement.
- Previous experience in agricultural research especially vanilla is an added advantage
- Honesty: Enumerators should be able to show a high level of integrity and will not fabricate responses.
- Ability to Communicate: Confidently expresses self, able to clearly ask questions and help the respondent understand what is needed from her/him.
- Relationship Building: Able to build trust with people at the rural level and maintain confidentiality.
- Cultural Awareness: Must be aware of and sensitive to the cultural expectations of communities in Karamoja.
- Accuracy: Must be able to interpret and record responses appropriately without distorting the respondent’s meaning.
- Endurance: Must be able to work for full day working hours in the field for several days.
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff): These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Each staff member working in emergencies is expected to use the following competencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Communicates strategically under pressure.
- Manages stress and complexity.
- Actively promotes safety and security.
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs.
How To Apply for CRS Uganda Jobs 2021
All candidates should apply and follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
- Email a cover letter and CV only to [email protected]
- Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – RESEARCHASSISTANTS only
- All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
Deadline: 21 st December 2021 by 5:00pm