VVOB in Uganda
The current and upcoming Belgium-funded multi-year programmes in Uganda want to make sure that youth graduating from secondary general education and secondary TVET are motivated to engage in agriculture and have the skills needed for employment and entrepreneurship in the sector. The Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and VVOB want to achieve this goal by improving the quality and relevance of secondary agricultural education and training. VVOB contributes specifically by strengthening teacher and instructor professional development.
Purpose of the function
As our Country Programmes Manager, you bear the end-responsibility for all VVOB’s operations in Uganda. You carry out the vision and mission of VVOB in Uganda, you develop our business further within the country and contribute to global business development.
· As a leader and role model, you develop and inspire strong teams;
· You hold the end responsibility of all VVOB operations within the country, including finances, human resources and internal organisation and you are accountable for key results of the country operations in terms of programme results and financial results;
· You provide input for organisation wide strategy and policy development;
· You translate general organisational strategies and policies into relevant, feasible, effective and efficient strategies, policies and programmes at the country level;
· You are actively involved in the further development of the business at country level, including portfolio management, highlighting of achievements, identifying the landscape of both partnerships and competition and seeking new funding opportunities;
· You develop and maintain a network with relevant government, funding, technical and network partners and other internal and external stakeholders. Furthermore, you represent VVOB towards them.
If you’re our Country Programmes Manager, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
You have a meeting with your right-hand, the operations manager, about financial processes and the draft budget for a multimillion project we’re trying to secure;
You have a discussion with the education advisors in your team about the progress and next steps of the programmes. Any challenges, e.g. in the cooperation with partners, are raised here;
You give a presentation at the Ministry of Education on VVOB’s work, to the country’s top officials;
You travel to another province to give opening remarks at a workshop with VVOB’s partners;
You log in to a Teams meeting to touch base with VVOB’s head office in Belgium on the quarterly progress of VVOB’s activities in the country. You’re well prepared on everything from finances to human resources and any upcoming VIP visits of partners to our programmes, and any other relevant subjects;
You respond to a policy note sent by the VVOB Directors on the new strategic and operational objectives for VVOB in 2022-2030.
This position is open to expat candidates.
Your expertise and experience
· You have a Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
· You have at least 2 years international (working) experience in Low and Middle income countries.
· You have strong and proven management and leadership skills with a track record of success in building effective teams and leading and motivating a diverse group of professional staff.
· You have demonstrated and successful experience in strategic networking and partnership building with a varied range of partners, including government partners, donors and investors. You have experience working alongside Ministry of Education staff.
· You have experience with capacity development processes and strategies, change processes and change management at institutional level.
· You have experience in organizational development and leading an organization through change.
· You have at least 3 years’ work experience in managing a project portfolio with an annual budget of more than $1 million.
· English proficiency: CEFR level C1.
What we’re offering:
· A full-time contract until 31/12/2026, with the possibility of extension depending on the availability of donor funding
· An attractive compensations & benefits package including holiday allowance and 13 th month, insurances, housing allowance, school fee allowance, annual family home travel ticket and pension savings.
· An exciting job in a growing organisation with varied responsibilities and opportunities for professional development