Jobs at:Caritas Kotido Diocese
Deadline of this Job:
22 January 2021
Within Uganda , Abim , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Caritas Kotido Diocese was established in 1991 as the social services and development arm of the Catholic Diocese of Kotido and also known as the Charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese. Caritas Kotido Diocese operates under the registered Trustee of Kotido Diocese and uses the Certi?cate of Incorporation of “Kotido Diocese” as a corporate body under the name “THE REGISTERED TRUSTEES OF KOTIDO DIOCESE”.
As a development arm of the Diocese; its scope of operation spans across the Districts of Kotido, Abim, Kaabong and Karenga with a total area of 13,245 Sq. Km with a population of 457,222 (UBOS, 2014). Caritas Kotido Diocese works through a network of structures and registered community groups in North Karamoja. The major projects of focus are on livelihoods, food and nutrition security, governance, HIV and AIDS, gender based violence, WASH, Disaster Risk Management/Climate change adaptation, environmental conservation and ecosystem restoration, reduction of violence against women, child protection, humanitarian assistance, Resilience building, women & youth skilling, economic empowerment and Justice and Peace. The vision of Caritas Kotido Diocese is to have “a seljlreliant, just and peaceful community. " The mission is “T0 empower vulnerable communities through sustainable development programs. ”
Caritas Kotido Diocese is part of a consortium led by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to run a ?ve-year (October 2017- September 2022) Food for Peace (FFP), Development Food Security Activities (DFSA) USAID funded program entitled “Nuyok” meaning “ours” whose goal is to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods and improve food security and nutrition for vulnerable rural families in four districts of Karamoja viz: Abim, Nabilatuk, Nakapiripirit and Napak - which are homes to 406,880 people living in an estimated 58,126 households. Caritas Kotido Diocese through support from CRS implements the activities of NUYOK Program in Abim District.
In order to effectively implement the program activities, Caritas Kotido Diocese is seeking to recruit quali?ed and competent individuals to fill up the positions below.
Position title: Agronomist
Reports to: Livelihoods Programmes Manager
Duty Station: Abim Field Office
The Agronomist will manage the implementation of several agriculture-related NUYOK Programme activities, liaising with key stakeholders. The Agronomist will work to improve the economic future and quality of life of the program bene?ciaries. S/he will drive the implementation of effective agricultural extension services and the adoption of improved agronomic practices among others .
• Develop messages, structures and systems to continually improve the quality of agricultural extension services to improve the production and productivity of farmers and help them turn that productivity into improved food security and livelihoods. Focus is on crop production, vegetable gardening and post-harvest handling.
• Directly supervise and provide leadership to the program’s agricultural extension agents to ensure effective use of resources and successful targeting of services to the target bene?ciary farmers.
• Identify technologies, practices, tools, equipment, varieties and partners that have the greatest potential to improve the agricultural productivity of the target population and food security of the area’s most vulnerable.
• Manage the implementation of quality demonstration plots, seed multiplication plots, and possibly nurseries that are supported by the program.
• Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
• Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to analyse and write technical reports.
• Excellent inter-personal skills including training, monitoring and supporting staff
• Experience and skills in community action planning, networking and research, analysis and report writing
• Proactive, results and service-oriented.
• Knowledgeable of local language(s) i.e. Thur or Luo
• Possession of a valid riding permit is a must.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all Caritas Kotido Diocese Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of Caritas Kotido Diocese and
used by each staff member to ful?ll his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Team Work
• Passion to serve the poor and vulnerable communities
• Accountability & Stewardship
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties, and responsibilities associated with the positions.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and vision. Caritas Kotido Diocese is a charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese that serves the interest of the poor and vulnerable communities. We welcome as a part of our staff, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. Caritas Kotido Diocese processes and policies re?ect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Quali?ed and interested candidates for the above positions should submit their application letters, curriculum vitae with three work related referees having contacts & e-mails, certi?ed copies of relevant Academic and work base documents and Hand deliver to Caritas Kotido - Abim ?eld Of?ce, Kaabong Field Of?ce or Caritas Kotido Diocese Head office well
The Human Resource Officer,
Caritas Kotido Diocese,
P.O BOX 55,
Submission deadline: 22nd January 2021 at 5:00pm
1All quali?ed candidates are encouraged to apply though only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
No applications can be accepted after the deadline.
Canvassing for support will lead to automatic disquali?cation.
Applications without certi?ed academic documents shall not be considered.
Caritas Kotido does not discriminate on any ground, all quali?ed applicants are encouraged to apply.