Admin/Logistics Lead (Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement) – Xavier Project
Jobs at:Xavier Project
Deadline of this Job:
27 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Admin/Logistics Lead (Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement) – Xavier Project
Location: Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement, Uganda
Salary: 3,000,000 Uganda Shillings per month gross
Answers to: Xavier Project CEO
Open to: All applicants
Xavier Project is an international NGO registered in Kenya, Uganda and the UK which specialises in building holistic partnerships with Refugee-Led Organisations (RLO) in refugee-hosting areas. Xavier Project is a facilitator ensuring greater community ownership and self-reliance over humanitarian and development projects. We strengthen the RLOs’ capacity to design multi-year strategic plans to implement and manage pioneering community-led interventions which address core problems in their own communities.
Xavier Project is looking to recruit for the position of ‘Admin/Logistics Lead’ to be based in Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement, Kamwenge District. We are launching an agricultural social enterprise in Rwamwanja called ‘Turaco Valley Foods’ which is based around milling locally produced maize grain. We aim to tackle market inefficiencies in the maize value-chain to support both Xavier Project’s charitable activities whilst maximising benefits to local smallholder farmers. Xavier Project is now seeking an individual with much experience in procuring and processing maize grain, and in marketing maize flour, to lead on the coordination and implementation of the necessary logistical and administrative processes to ensure this new business is a success.
Xavier Project aims to be milling 45 tonnes of grain per month in the first year, and up to 90 tonnes per month by year three as a minimum. However, the electric mill will have the capacity to mill up to 300 tonnes per month. We intend to purchase grain for many different refugee and host community smallholders within Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement and hope to work closely with different local farmer groups. Maize flour will be sold locally at first through a retail outlet in Rwamwanja, however, we intend to sell in wholesale to larger buyers, either locally or beyond. Profits from the enterprise will be reinvested into supporting the smallholders we work with to provide quality grain through buying at favourable rates, offering free training programmes, sharing information and linking farmers to input provision and financial services. While the focus of the admin/logistics lead will be on supervising the mill to ensure we meet our grain supply and processing targets efficiently, they will be expected to support the development and implementation of the different activities designed to support local farmers.
• Proven working experience as a Logistics Manager
• Proven working experience in humanitarian/social impact organizations
• Record of successful distribution and logistics management
• Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
• Strong IT literacy
• Proficient in standard inventory, logistics & amp; accounting software
• Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
• Firm grasp of the maize supply chain, inventory, distribution, business, and management principles
• Strong team player
• A strong understanding of the challenges faced by smallholder farmers, refugees and other marginalised communities in East Africa
• A strong understanding of organic agricultural principles and the risks associated with the industrialization of agriculture on ecological and cultural diversity
• Experience in the application of tech to agricultural value-chains and how this can benefit smallholder farmers, as well as related risks
• A good understanding of key trends in the refugee and/or development situation in East Africa, and the meaning of localisation in development
• Fieldwork experience in challenging contexts
• Experience working with a diverse team of people from different backgrounds
• Manage and oversee procurement, shipping, receiving, milling, retailing and storage of maize grain, flour, equipment, tools and other goods.
• Assist overall performance and efficiency by developing and monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs) throughout milling, retailing, shipping, receiving, and warehousing cycles
• Manage and supervise maize flour retail including retail shop
• Assist in developing and manuals and procedures
• Recruit, coordinate and liaise payouts with farmers and farmer groups suppliers both contact and non-contract
• Manage inventory levels, ensuring that changes in inventory are promptly and accurately recorded in internal supply chain systems
• Strategically plan and manage logistics, warehouse, transportation and customer services
• Keep track of quality, quantity, stock levels, delivery times, transport costs and efficiency
• Arrange warehouse, catalogue goods, plan routes and process shipments
• Resolve any arising problems or complaints
• Supervise, coach and train warehouse workforce
• Maintain metrics and analyze data to assess performance and implement improvements
• Comply with laws, regulations and UNBS, ISO requirements
• Assist in developing budgets; proposals for social impact projects and timely reports on project implementation including purchasing and sales, employee performance and operation costs
• Ensure timely, consistent and efficient procurement of quality maize grain from farmers to improve sales and customer service.
• Ensure strong relationships between Xavier Project and local maize farmers in the local area.
• Maintain safety by inspecting facilities and equipment, promptly responding to reports of accidents, and making sure that areas are free of clutter and other hazards
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply for this position, we would like to ask you to complete and submit this online form. In addition, please submit your CV to [email protected] and use your name and the job title “Logistics Lead for Turaco Valley” in the email subject. Please note that only the CVs of short-listed candidates will be read so include the most relevant information from your CV in the application form.
The deadline for submitting the online form and sending your CV is midnight on the 27th of August 2021 . Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information about our work please visit www.xavierproject.org
Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability. This is a secure form and your application will only be read by Xavier Project’s selection panel for this position and the Xavier Project Human Resources department.