Senior Resettlement Assistant, Kyangwali
Jobs at:UNHCR Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
16 May 2022
Within Uganda , Kyangwali , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Eligible Applicants: This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants. Read additional information before applying
Procedures and Eligibility: This position is open to all eligible applicants provided that requirements regarding professional experience, academic qualifications, language are fulfilled.
Duties and Qualifications: Senior Resettlement Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships A Senior Resettlement Assistant position is typically located at Multi-Country Office, Branch Office or Field Office. Under supervision, the incumbent’s primary role is to assist the supervisor in effective resettlement delivery of a given UNHCR Office in accordance with the UNHCR Resettlement Handbook, UNHCR Manual and relevant policy papers and publications. The incumbent provides important clerical and administrative support to resettlement operations and may as required take part in assessing cases for resettlement and conducting interviews. S/he maintains frequent contacts with the supervisor, relevant colleagues within the same Office or Offices under purview to exchange information and discuss issues on resettlement cases. Some contacts and communication at a working level are required with Embassy / Immigration Officials of resettlement countries, IOM as well as with other operating partners regarding resettlement issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
• Carry out preliminary interviews and initial assessments to process refugees for resettlement following established procedures.
• Prepare written documentation for resettlement submission; ensure that records / files of individual cases are updated in a systematic and timely manner.
• Assess and review individual resettlement cases and prepare individual / group submission for scrutiny by the supervisor.
• Provide persons of concern (PoC) with up-to-date and accurate information on UNHCR’s resettlement policies and procedures.
• Comply with UNHCR’s standard operating procedures on resettlement, ensuring timely action on cases.
• Follow up on cases from time of submission to final decision and departure; ensure effective in-country communication on the status and follow-up on PoC being considered for resettlement.
• Assist in maintaining and updating proGres or Consolidated Online Resettlement Tracking System (CORTS) database and provide technical support.
• Coordinate travel and departure arrangements for refugees accepted for resettlement.
• Organize logistical support for governments undertaking resettlement missions.
• Provide administrative support for resettlement-related training activities, including organization of resettlement workshops and meetings as required.
• Maintain accurate resettlement statistics as well as up-to-date records on individual cases; assist in the preparation of reports.
• Draft / type routine correspondence to Field Offices / Multi-Country Offices / Headquarters.
• Systematically apply an Age, Gender and Diversity perspective in all aspects of the resettlement process; comply with UNHCR policy and guidelines on HIV/AIDS.
• Assist in mitigating resettlement fraud by reporting suspected fraud.
• Recommend eligible cases for resettlement consideration.
• Provide counselling to PoC.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education Not applicable (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses International Law; International Relations; (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience Essential Not specified
Desirable Good knowledge of resettlement issues and UNHCR resettlement policies and operational applications. Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities (e.g., PLP and RSD/Resettlement Learning Programme, resettlement anti-fraud workshop).
Functional Skills PR-Refugee Resettlement programs PR-Resettlement Anti-Fraud Policy and Procedures CO-Cross-cultural communication (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). See below for this postion’s Operational Context
UNHCR Uganda has a large resettlement target to meet in 2022. The current position will be part of the resettlement team, and can be, depending on the locations, supervised by protection officer. The candidate will either support the identification of refugees for resettlement or will conduct the verification of the registration data of the identified refugees. The candidate will need to have sound understanding of protection and in particular of GBV and child protection, as well as the refugee definition included in the 1951 Refugee Convention. The candidate will also need to have a good knowledge in registration, as one of the tasks will be to verify the biodata and the family composition of the refugees. Good understanding of proGres V4 refugee database is an asset. The candidate will have the title of either Senior Protection Assistant (case ID) or Senior Resettlement Assistant.
Please note that the closing date for this vacancy is Monday 16 May 2022
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to apply.