Senior Project Assistant (Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI) ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Jobs at:IOM Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to ensuring orderly and humane governance of migration, promoting international cooperation on migration issues, and assisting in the search for practical solutions to migration issues.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply as first tier-candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the LMI Programme Manager, and the direct supervision of the National
Programme Officer of LMI (Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing specialized assistance in the implementation of the regional project in Uganda by carrying out the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the planning, coordination, and implementation of the project activities.
2. Compile, summarize, and draft information/data on specific project activities, topics, highlighting noteworthy issues for the consideration of appropriate parties.
3. Assist in project monitoring, as necessary.
4. Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
5. Draft monthly reports for donor’s de-briefings as well as draft status reports: identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest corrective measures.
6. Draft correspondence on program issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, and other forms of documentation.
7. Organize meetings, workshops, and training sessions; agendas,participants invitations, travel logistics, draft meetings minutes and reports, follow up and communication.
8. Set up and maintain archives/files/records of the program.
9. Participate in meetings and conferences; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
10. Provide inputs for concept papers, mappings/assessments and reports and provide general support for the development of new programmatic approaches.
11. Liaise with National Program Officer, the LMI Program Manager, RO team on relevant activities/products
12. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Management, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration
Studies, or related interdisciplinary fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
• High school degree/certificate with minimum 6 years of relevant working experience.
• Experience in program management, monitoring budgets and burn rates, planning, coordination, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of program activities.
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions,
United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations.
• Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
• Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
• Has working knowledge in Oracle or SAP system for budgets monitoring, burn rates and procurement system.
• High computer literacy in Microsoft applications and other technological solutions.
• Fluency in English
• Working Knowledge of any other UN languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
NOTE: Appointment to this position is Subject to funding confirmation.
Interested applicants may send their applications to [email protected] no later than 1st July 2022.
Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/008/2022 – Senior Project Assistant (Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI)) G6 should be specified in the SUBJECT field.