Project Manager - SUPREME (for Nationals only)
Deadline of this Job:
24 January 2022
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position : Project Manager - SUPREME (for Nationals only)
Starting date : January 2022
Duty station : (Arua - West Nile)
Reports to : Programme Manager
ZOA is an international NGO that inspired by Christian identity and biblical message of reconciliation and restoration of a broken world with its headquarters in the Netherlands. ZOA operate in fifteen countries on and on three continents. At ZOA we provide relief to people affected by conflict or natural disasters, contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the recovery of their livelihoods.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a:
Project Manager - SUPREME for West Nile
The Project Manager is responsible for the integral management and implementation of the ZOA activities within the SUPREME livelihoods project, as well as coordination with the Programme Management Unit (World Vision) and other consortium partners.
Project specific details:
The SUPREME project runs from August 2020 - July 2024. The project's overall outcome is to increase access to decent employment for refugees and host communities. The project's Theory of Change (TOC) is that financial inclusion and social cohesion are necessary preconditions for economic self-reliance of vulnerable populations. The project directly benefits 25,000 households (men, women & youth) in 4 refugee hosting areas namely Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo districts. ZOA implements the project in Arua and Madi Okollo districts. Project outputs include (1) Financial inclusion and social cohesion among Saving & Development Clusters (SDC) increased (2) Sustainable agricultural value chain and non-agricultural enterprises developed and (3) Young women and men from SDC member households are linked to private sector employment.
The Project Manager will oversee all aspects of the project delivery and coordination on behalf of ZOA West Nile, under the SUPREME Consortium, and as part of ZOA's West Nile management team. He/she will ensure financial inclusion and agricultural value chain and non-agricultural enterprises development components under the project are technically supported.
Place in organization
The Project Manager is responsible for all project oversight and leading the ZOA SUPREME team. The PM reports to the Programme Manager. They line manage and support other project team members and community volunteers in implementation.
Responsibilities and main activities
• Ensure yearly budget, detail plan and operational strategy are in place for the project in line with the project design and donor requirement
• Ensure project teams have clear objectives to ensure quality implementation of project outputs and outcomes
• Understand all approaches (like ERI, FMNR, SDC etc) used by the project and ensure plans are developed for their implementation
• Project management - Plans, organizes and manages the implementation of activities as described in the project proposal in line with donor requirements, ZOA's strategy, its country strategic annual plan and programme plan;
• Ensure all project outputs are delivered and objective achieved in a timely manner
• Build capacity building of the ZOA project team in line with identified needs;
• Contributes to programme and knowledge development specifically related to the themes related to assigned project(s).
• Develops and implements procurement, and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) plans;
• Technical support and innovation
• Provides technical support and ensures effective support to implementation of the project engaging with the ZOA Programme Quality team;
• Manages project budget and ensures expenses are incurred in line with approved budget;
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with local authorities, project implementing and coordinating partners, and other key project specific sector actors;
• Any other duty assigned by the Programme Manager or Country Director.
• Budget holder of project;
• Approval of expenditures and related cost allocations, on the basis of approved project and programme organization budgets according to the ZOA Management Charter;
• Ensure full utilization of the project approved budget
• Contribute to the recruitment of well-qualified project staff and project community volunteers if and when necessary reviewing the job descriptions, participating in job interviews;
• Ensures that project staff are conversant with their job description, ZOA's internal regulations, standards, policies and donor regulations and get acquainted with their colleagues in the Programme team;
• Supervises and carries out periodical evaluation of the performance of the staff assigned to the project(s) against established performance objectives in a timely manner. Generally, ensures adherence to ZOA's PME system;
• Ensures capacity building on key project concepts and approaches with support from PGQ department and/or other ZOA and partner staff;
• Recommends strategic training opportunities for project staff;
• Ensures effective leave management within the project team, in liaison with the field Finance and Administration Associate Manager;
• Documentation and reporting, MEAL
• Reports on the project progress on a monthly basis (internal and external reporting), and writes donor reports in line with contractual obligations;
• Develop the implementation plans and activity/monthly reports;
• Identify, document lessons learned and best practices;
• Prepare and submit well written success stories;
• Organize monitoring and data recording systems of activities in the project in coordination with MEAL colleagues, and ensure timely data collection and entering in ZOAM for easy retrieval.
Characteristics of Role
The role is 1.0 FTW (40 hrs/week). Working hours and benefits are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service.
The PM will be based at the ZOA West Nile office in Arua. Regular field visits to the project locations/other districts in the region are anticipated, which may necessitate overnight stays. Visits to other ZOA programme locations may also be requested for coordination, training and learning.
• Programme Management Unit (PMU) at World Vision, for coordination, reporting and consortium management tasks;
• Local government actors and relevant district offices;
• Community leaders, members, project participants, volunteers;
• Other NGO and sector actors on relevant technical topics, local partners;
• Private sector partners.
• Internal contacts:
• Members of the project team;
• Programme Manager and Deputy Programme Manager West Nile;
• Livelihoods Advisor (Programme Quality team, Kampala);
• Support team including Administrator, Logistics, Finance;
• Other staff at field and country office.
Knowledge & Experience:
• Degree in humanitarian, development, or other relevant field; Master degree will be an added advantage;
• At least 5 years successful project cycle management experience in a similar position; - Experience managing large programmes for INGOs is an added advantage;
• Experience managing large projects funded by institutional donors is an added advantage;
• Having led a project in partnership with a local NGO is an added advantage;
• Excellent spoken and written command of English;
• Language skills in relevant local languages of the duty station is an added advantage.
• Participative leadership with clear command of overall operations;
• Sensitive towards HRM and organizational issues;.
• Good communication, writing and facilitation skills;
• Innovative, creative and enthusiastic;
• Good computer skills: Ms Excel and Ms Word;
• Self-motivator, able to work with limited supervision;
• Able to ride a motorbike in field conditions, holding a valid driving license (this will be checked with a practical test during interview).
• High level of personal integrity
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity;
• Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
• Able to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment;
• Commitment to ZOA's mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified and interested candidates with the required qualification, experience, knowledge, skills, and attitude should send their applications to https://cvselection.net/project-manager-supreme
Applications should only include the following: cover letter and an updated CV (with three professional referees) of which two must be 2 professional references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer, and 1 character reference could be your pastor or priest.
Deadline: 24 January 2022, I ndicate only 'Application Project Manager- SUPREME West Nile on the subject line.
Qualified candidates and or individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.