Management Information Systems Manager
Jobs at:Marie Stopes
Deadline of this Job:
25 April 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location: Marie Stopes UG, Head Officer
Reporting to: Data Management Lead
Under the guidance of the Data Management Lead, the position holder will be providing a strong link between the Country Programme (CP) and the Global Management Information Systems (MIS). He/she will provide overall oversight and full-time support to the commercial and donor data collection and reporting systems. The Manager will ensure that all supported systems are appropriately set-up and configured to meet user demands. He/she will lead/spearhead the adaptation and roll out of new tools that support the country programme to evolve in a direction that meets donor demands and operational needs. The Manager will also provide comprehensive support to the country programme in implementing and enabling the use of high-quality data for decision making, and drive innovations that enable MSUG achieve its vision.
To achieve this, the role will:
• Be the link between the CP and the Global MIS, ensuring timely and consistent configuration set up across all supported systems and channels. The role will feed into the business requirements and on improvements in support and innovations to develop more sustainable ways to meet demand of the channels.
• Ensure data quality by empowering users through data processes, checks and training to capture consistent and high-quality data. Work with MIS to set up regular data quality checks and processes for tracking and proactively follow-up on data quality issues. Data quality work feeding into and linking strongly, but not restricted to, MSI-RC’s Data Validation principles.
• Build capacity of user departments and channels to increasingly own the systems and data processes. Support channels, departments, and users to develop a culture of routine-data use (through on-going mentorships and support, with updated training materials), expanding the range, depth and quality of operational insights derived from data.
• Regularly appraise Commercial and Donor Information Systems to inform innovations and upgrades to ensure that tools in-use remain informative and evolve with technological developments and country programme demands.
The role will involve travel to frontline service delivery points to test, assess, reinforce, and support the use of the systems. .
Be the link between the CP and the Global MIS, ensuring timely and consistent configuration set up across all supported systems and channels.
• The role provides a strong link between MSUG and Global MSI ensuring easy communication between the partnerships, cascading systems and tools that enable the channels to adapt and implement these tools within country context.
• Ensure timely and consistent configuration set-up and roll out of systems, tools, improvements, and updates across the channels.
• This role will collate lessons and insights on support requirements from channels to feed into CP requirements on improvements to existing systems and innovations to develop more sustainable ways to meet the demand of the channels and the CP.
Ensure data quality by empowering users through data processes, checks and training to capture consistent and high-quality data.
• Empower the users and channels to capture consistent and high-quality data through data collection processes, system set-up and training.
• The Manager will work with Global MIS to complete regular quality checks and processes for tracking and follow-up on data quality issues to drive improvements.
• The role will link to and support the Data validation principles through equipping the users and departments to implement the MSI-RC’s DV principles and ensure that any data quality checks complement and support these principles.
Build capacity in country Programmes to enable embedding: transfer skills and empower teams
to do more with their data
Build capacity of user departments and channels to increasingly own the systems and data process. Support channels, departments, and users to develop a culture of routine-data use (through on-going mentorships and support, with updated training materials), expand range, depth and quality of operational insights derived from data.
• Build capacity of user departments to own the systems, data analysis and data use through on-going mentorships and support.
• Support users to develop a culture of data use routinely from dashboards and system reports.
• Through ‘channel-working groups’, enable embedding –transferring skills and empowering core teams that drive channel performance. This role will use this platform to expand the range of collaboration and use of data to increase reflection, depth and quality of operational insights derived from data.
• Contribute lessons and best practices to MSI-RC’s channel Success Models (SUMOs)
Regularly appraise Commercial and Donor Information Systems to inform innovations and upgrades to ensure that tools in-use remain informative and evolve with technological developments and CP demands.
• Working with CP stakeholders, conduct annual system and tools assessments to identify areas for improvement. This role will continuously work with the channels and users to improve the systems, data collection and data use.
• The Manager will work with Donor supported channels to develop easy-to-use interfaces such as poverty heat maps, adolescent hotspots, areas with high population concentrations with high FP/PAC demand, historical data that drives competitive performance across the organisation
Competencies, Knowledge and Experience
• Attention for detail.
• Excellent planning skills
• Demonstrated experience in managing large MIS and database systems in a busy environment.
• Knowledge and Skills in programming and SQL querying
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of MS office applications (e.g., excel, access, word and power point)
• Excellent data analytical and presentation skills
Qualifications and Training (essential/ desirable)
• University Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or related discipline.
• 2 years’ experience in database administration and data management
• Good knowledge and skills of working Microsoft SQL Server
• Able to work on full time basis under minimal supervision
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. We encourage and expect all team members will demonstrate the following behaviours:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
• Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
• Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
• Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
• Focus on Learning.
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
• Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible, and showing respect for each other
MSI Behaviours and Values
Team Member Behaviours
Work as One MSI
• You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight, and decision-making across MSI, enabling us to maximise our ability to influence others.
• You share relevant knowledge, expertise, and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort.
• You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
• You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behaviours you demonstrate.
• You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
Develop and grow
• You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective.
• You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
Deliver excellence, always
• You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role.
• You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders and are a true MSI ambassador.
Leadership (For Leaders only)
• You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction.
• You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline.
• You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team.
• You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
• Mission driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice not chance.
• Client centred: We are passionate about our clients and dedicate our efforts to delivering agreed objectives to the highest possible quality.
• Accountable: We are accountable for our actions and take responsibility for everything we do to ensure long term sustainability and increased impact.
• Courageous: We recruit and nurture talented, passionate, and brave people who have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Send your application to [email protected]